What's the greatest bargain in SET these days?

Hi, Gang,
I response to my recent review of the Reference 3A De Capo BE speaker, someone wrote that if you really want to hear them sing, you should try them with a SET amp, or words to that effect.
That got me thinking. The De Capo's are 92 db efficient, which (correct me if I'm wrong) seems kind of borderline for low-power SET amps.
In any event, right now I'm running mine with a pair of Manley Mahi mono-blocks. They are switchable from triode (20 watts) to "ultra linear" (40 watts). I run them in triode all the time, and in my room, the volume knob almost never goes past 9 o'clock; more would just be too loud.
All that said, what do you guys think of running the De Capo's with a SET amp? And if I did, what's the best bargain in SET's these days?
Thanks!
rebbi
Reb. How many more steps?

Definitely reminds me of my electronic kit building days as a kid except this one costs way more and will sound much better than anything I've ever done. Still have all the tools though so with those and your journal one would be armed and dangerous. 😉
Map,
At this point, with the 3 PCB's all built up, most of what's left is "inter-wiring," that is, doing the wiring between the various PCB's themselves and between the driver PCB and the 300 B hard-wired "tag strip." There's also a little wiring and connecting to be done at some of the valve bases. The last step is to solder in the big Mundorf caps and install the RCA connectors, speaker posts and volume pot.
Then, I'll take various measurements to see if all looks well. After that, it's add in the tubes and power up.
So I'd say I'm more than 2/3 of the way into the build, but there's still a good deal more to do. And I'm a slow worker! ;-)
So TAS has finally come out with Dick Olsher's review of the Coincident Dynamo 34 SE. I find it an odd read... one of those reviews where the conclusion doesn't quite seem to match the body of the review.
He describes his dismay that his rectifier tube kept arcing on startup, which he said Coincident describes as "a normal event."
His review unit then kept blowing fuses and had to be shipped back to Coincident. The problem turned out to be a failed filter cap.
He lauds the unit for its exceptionally dimensional sound stage, but says that the lows and mids fell short of his Primaluna DiaLogue Premium. He then starts tube rolling, and after replacing the Chinese EL 34's and the 6SL7 with Tung Sol's, he feels the amp starts to show what it can do, although he cautions that because of the amp's 10.2 ohm source impedance off the 8 ohm taps, speaker matching is crucial. On his Basszilla DIY speakers (odd choice for a review!) he found the tonal balance "distinctly lightweight."
In the end, after a digression on the psychology of perceived value vs. price in the field of wine connoisseurship, he concludes that the Dynamo "may not always yield the most accurate tonal balance, but the crux of the matter is foot-tapping musical bliss."
Your thoughts?
So much depends on the speaker when judging an amplifier, particularly SET/SEP types. It seems Tim Smith of 6 Moons may have use more compatible speakers as he notes numerous fine matches. System synergy is such a key factor for success .
Rebbi, I haven't yet read the review, but based on your synopsis, it does seem to be a bit perplexing. As you may recall, I also had the problem with the arcing rectifier, and in due course pitched it into the trash can. Arcing may be "normal" but it so what? There was a time when the plague was normal in Europe. Small comfort. I don't quite get why Israel thinks his customers will think this is a non issue. Its not like the stock rectifier is a stellar performer. Perhaps a cheap 5AR4 that doesn't arc would be a better choice. It is unfortunate that Olsher's experience was also marred by a bad cap. Could be he was soured a bit by these events.

Mikirob's tube rolling adventures validate Olsher's observations that tube rolling is a productive exercise. This is not exactly a startling revelation.

I found the tonal balance to be neutral. The dynamo is a very cost effective product, in my estimation. It is not a destination piece, but it is a good choice for someone getting started or building a 2nd system.

I am eager to experience 2nd hand your thoughts on your current project.