Bloated speakers/weight wise

Hopefully most of us are keeping to our new years diet resolutions. But what about speakers, can they be overweight too? How many of us enjoy shoving around a speraker that weighs in at MORE than we do? I mean really is it really necessary to have speakers that weigh in at more than 150 lbs? I might go as high as 175, but even that is in need of a diet. What do you get more from a 150 lb speaker that i don't get from my 70 lb speaker.
So who are the haaviest speakers on the planet? list some brands and corresponding weiths.
I know Legacy and Wilson's are up there, any others?
bartokfan
Chad, with a bigger heftier amp I can make my 70 lb speakers blow the roof off this place, 40X30 cathedral room. The only thing is the dual 7 inchers roll off the lower 20-40 hz/s. Which is why I may go to a 3 way with a 8 inch woofer/at 100 lbs each, will go down to 30hZ.
Someone mentioned 1000 lb pair!!!! Can anyone here lift a 500 lb speaker???!!! Even budging it would require 2 guys. I realize Tyler has some monsters, but I believe he sells those to studos/commercial. Or does anyone here have Tyler's Super Towers with dual 10's? I guess they weigh in at 600 lbs each. Honestly I wouldn;'t even want to own a pr that size. Not for any price. As the speaker has now taken dominance over the music, classical music that is.
Paul
I might admire some bigger speakers, but I definitely limit myself to something I can move around on my own.

Fatparrot, yes mass does inhibit speaker movement in the "for every action, an equal and opposite reaction" way, which is to say that a woofer pumping back and forth won't move a speaker noticeably the other way. But you actually don't need a very heavy speaker to accomplish this task, especially if it's spiked to the floor, as evidenced by the fact that none of us are reporting our speakers 'walking' around the listening room (positioning the woofer low in the cabinet also helps reduce rocking motion, and of course positioning two woofers opposite each other and wired in the same phase can eliminate it). What sheer mass doesn't do is prevent the pressure waves from causing resonance -- think of the Liberty Bell. Some of the techniques and materials that are used to reduce resonance in speaker cabinets do add mass, but it's not necessarily the mass per se that prevents resonance (the more massive the thing that's set to vibrating, the longer it takes to damp), and lighter-weight designs employing clever forms and materials engineering can also be made low in resonance. I always thought it was a neat bit of iconoclastic thinking that Hsu made its subwoofers out of lightweight but rigid and nonresonant (as far as the material goes) cardboard tubes -- inexpensive, too.
How about the Montana WAS at 520 pounds each?

The approximate shipping weight for a pair of Wilson Alexandria X-2's is 2,286 pounds.

These are way too heavy for me. In fact, as I've gotten older, I've found myself gravitating towards lighter speakers (and amplifiers too). No more struggling with 100+ pound monsters for me.

Maybe it's because I don't listen to much heavy metal anymore. :-)

Cheers,
John
What about the event horizon? I heard that some speakers are so heavy that not even light can escape their gravitational pull let alone the poor audiophile who buys them....captivating sound no doubt!