New R Series Rel Subs

Any info outside of there web site. I'm looking to replace my Acoustic Research sub and the new R series sounds like it will do music and movies well.My needs are mainly music.
coach-duplicate-0
Gjrad,
Most of the reviews I've read always seem to speak of Full or near full range speakers with these subs. I'm using B&W S805's and I'm leaning towards the R-205. Outside of more power,whats the difference between the R-305 and the R-205.
Coach
The R305 has a 10" Heavy Duty Long Throw Cast Frame driver which I believe is different than the 10" in the R205. The cabinet size and like you mentioned 300w vs 200w amp. I am using these with Reference 3A DeCapo monitors and they work very well as they do with my more full range Virgos. Depending on room size either would be a good choice.

George
I've owned a 305 for months and LOVE it! Why?

It's tiny.

It does double duty without breaking a sweat or having to adjust anything

1. Greatly enhances large mains during 2-channel listening (for music)

2. Does the same WHILE ALSO pumping out LFE signal (for Movies/DVD-Audio/Etc)

Ease of placement (You won't be on your hands and knees playing Sub Hunt)

Class D powered (don't know much about it -- but it's why the R-series is so small and so efficient)

The 205 and 305 are basically identical - the extra power in the 305 makes it a far superior choice.

The larger (driver, amp & price tag) R-405 blows them both away.

I've auditioned a new Q201 and an old Storm (or Strata?) and neither could do what the R-305 does in my listening room -- with my equipment. (Thiel CS1.6 - Rotel RB-1080)

As far as other high-end subs go....I got nothin'.

If you can get to a stand alone Magnolia Home Theater store (California and Atlanta GA) -- you can buy one and return it for a full refund.

--ksr
Hey Y'all,

I find the info on the Sumiko website for these subs a bit suspect. How low do these subs go? I just purchased two MJ Acoustic Reference 150 Mk IIs and they are incredible. I replaced the Rel Strata III subs I've had in my system for over 3 years. When I went shopping for new subs, I was looking for something that was going to go under 20 Hz. I've recently upgraded to full range speakers that go to 20 Hz. All of the MJ subs go to at least 13 Hz. I have the sub's crossover set at 20 Hz for music, via the high level input, and I get low frequency info from my system, with these subs, that I"ve never gotten before with the Rel Strata's. Until I can see what the low end cut off is for the Rel R series, I would not trust them to offer THAT kind of LFE performance. I highly recommend you take a listen to the MJ subs, they really perform.......John
Pardon me but... The only thing that looks "suspect" is a claim that "all their Subs" go to 13hz!"

You realize that 13hz is a fantastic accomplishment??