Help on soundstaging

Hello, I have acquired a a pair of Epos ELS-3 and have them on 24 inch stands filled with sand. I have them about a foot from the wall and they are six feet apart. I'm trying to lock them in and create a stage. The room is small(apartment) so placement is probably critical. I know these spkrs can sound better than they do at the moment. Any help is appreciated. Enjoy the music. (BTW I have them firing straight out.)
south43
are they on the long wall (my suggestion), the diagonal (some have had great results doing this in problem rooms), or the short wall (where a lot of us begin...)?
How about a $14 tweak ?
Radio Shack sells Caig Pro gold de-oxidizer and gold contact treatment kits. Clean up your speaker terminals, cables and interconnects, and if any's left do your power cables. Just did this last weekend and it really helped the soundstaging, everything sounds so clean and right.
Wow I thank all of you for your replys. Here's my situation on the room. I do have the spkrs on the short wall--9ft.The width of the room is 13ft. Also the opposite wall--seating area is longer than the spkr wall which makes a sweet spot a little uneven. In addition the short wall has a window on the left side(if you are sitting in front of the spkrs)and open on the other side. Thers is carpet on the floor and the window has roman shades. Like I said apartment size dimensions. Do you remember the commercial where a couple hands a house designer a faucet and says build me a house around this? Well lets build a stage. Stay tuned.
Update: I towed the Epos in some and it helped alot but---. I think I may have them too far apart. I'm looking for a little more depth but patience and my better half as extra ears I'll get this stage swinging :)
I'd still go long wall, put drapes or cellular shades on the window (and a similar absorber on the opposite side and you're symmetric again!

When you toe in the speakers, a rule of them that I use for smaller rooms (nearfield type situations) is to start by pointing them so that they cross a little bit in front of the listening position. This gives pretty good focus & a broader sweetspot (more foregiving).

good luck