Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Frogman:

I was just listening to the CD, 'UGETSU', Art Blakey and the Messengers live at birdland. This is the 'review' everyone has been clamoring for me to write, and surely awaits with bated breath.

Outstanding Cover photo. But the club seems to be very small. However, any and everyone who is, or, has ever been anyone, has played there.

So, my question is, how does a group make money, playing in a place that small. Then I started thinking about who makes or made money in Jazz. And how much, i.e. how high a standard a living? Say, from the golden era of bluenote to the present.

Based on your personal experience and knowledge, can you speak to this? Of course in a gerneral sense.

Thanks

Cheers
Charles1dad, "What moves us is purely personal and unique, it's impossible to expect unanimous agreement on what musicians we like and don't like.The point is jazz is a extraordinary form of art and I'm just happy there are others here who love it as much as I do."

You have expressed my sentiments precisely, and your love of this music has taken me back to artists I've forgotten. Shirley Scott's warm, and soulful organ takes me back to a time that I listened to "live" organ more than I listened to recorded organ. Now I realize the highest of the high end, can not even come close to a live organ. I was telling someone how I recall a friends sound on organ as being so much better than what I heard on my LP's or CD's, and he said it was because I heard it live. Since I had heard sax, trumpet, vocal, and even piano live; and when I compared them to my recorded versions of the same tunes, there wasn't that same vast difference that occurred with the organ. Now I realize that the organ covers such a wide range of frequencies and dynamics, that a recording can't even come close; but in the case of my friend, that only partially explains it.

Thanks to you and others who have posted, my love for this music is even better the second time around.

Enjoy the music.
Rok, musicians' wages? Yikes! That's gonna take some time; lot's to say. Will be back.
O-10,
I have a piano at home and my wife and I love to hear it played.I attend local jazz clubs regularly and have done so for many years. I have no delusion that home audio equals the live experience. What I've discovered though is certain types of components get me pleasingly close and deeply emotionally involved. So I'm very happy listening often when at home.

It's a genuine pleasure to be able to hear the performances of great musicians in your home system when ever you desire. Here's an example, last night I'm really enjoying listening to Harold Land and thought, he plays the same instrument as Dexter Gordon and Johnny Griffin. They're more or less from the same era and all three at some point have played the same standards and ballads, Yet it's very easy to tell one from the other.Each has their own sound and approach.Each could play "Lush Life" or "It Never Entered my Mind" and they would sound readily different and all three would be beautiful.
Regards,
This weekend's playlist:

Eddie 'cleanhead' Vinson & Cannonball Adderley -- Cleanhead & Cannonball
Cleanhead sings, Cannonball Quintet plays. It just, does not work. This probably looked good on paper. They both do their respective things well enough, it's just not a good pairing. The Quintet just does not have the proper sound and instrumentation to back a blues shouter.
This would have been better with a Carmen McRae or a Nancy Wilson type singer, or Basie backing Vinson. On the track 'Audrey', Cleanhead tries to be a crooner. A total disaster!! You're a Shouter, not a Crooner!! (full metal jacket) Ain't got it? You don't need it.

Count Basie (w/ Joe Turner & Eddie 'cleanhead' Vinson) -- Kansas City Shout
After the disappointment above, I moved down the shelf to Basie. He has Cleanhead and Joe Turner. Both guys sing great. Turner is showing his age, but that don't matter!! Great selection of tunes. Some of the same tunes as on the cannonball CD. As you audiophile folks say, 'Night and Day' !!

As an added bonus, you get to hear the Basie Band, The Basie Quartet and the Basie Trio. Great playing. Basie gets to stretch out on piano. Wow!!

Favorite blues line? "woke up this morning, got me a jug, and laid back down". hahahahahahaha It's called the blues! (With all due respect to you clapton and canned heat fans). I love this stuff. Ain't got it? You know the drill!, Git it!!!

Art Blakey's Jazz messengers -- Ugetsu
The messengers live at Birdland. Way above average for the Blakey group. Hubbard, Shorter and Curtis Fuller (trombone) on the horns. Good atmosphere. Art played the entire set without taking a solo. I think that's good. Those guys should concern themselves with keeping time. I feel that most drum solos just disrupt the flow of the music. Recommended.

Roy Hargrove -- Roy Hargrove's Crisol : Habana
This is what is called a GEM!! Roy Hargrove and his quintet in Cuba. WOW! This is well played, well written music by a semi-large group of professionals.. 10 members. The percussion playing is awesome!!
A lot of big time guys on board. Chucho Valdez, David Sanchez, Horacio Hernandez, John Benitez, Russell Malone and others. No one person dominates. Everyone gets their time. Even Chucho is under control, at least until the last tune. He wrote it, called Mambo for Roy. Great stuff.

Horace Silver -- The Hardbop Grandpop
Not BlueNote. But Impulse is close enough. This could easily have been recorded in the 50's. Silver has not lost his touch.
Roditi, Michael Brecker, Steve Turre,. Ronnie Cuber, Ron Carter and Lewis Nash on board. My worst fears were not realized, they all meshed and played beautifully. Recorded 1996. I guess we can call it Late Silver.

I hope someone finds some of these to their liking.

Cheers