Speakers to mate with McIntosh gear

Hello,

I have a 13 X 16 X 8.5' room that I use a McIntosh C2200 preamp and MC402 amp in. My source is an Esoteric DV-50S. The room doubles as a HT arrangement as well as 2 channel. Currently, I own the Dynaudio C1's and though a wonderful speaker for jazz and classical (and I do listen to these genres too) I find it too forward and thin sounding (partic. in bass) when listening to folk rock and rock. I'd like your opinions on a floorstander for my room that is a great all rounder in music and home theater and can dig a little deeper in the bass. Thanks all. Budget would be no more than 4500 USD.
canucks0
My vote goes to the JM Lab Electra 937 Be. It is sublime and McIntosh gear works great with all the JM Labs. You may want to try some Electrostatic hybrids like Martin Logan too. They work great with rock but the Electras will be more refined in the high frequencies. But there are many good choices. Good luck! Arthur
A speaker I've always liked myself, but aren't all that easy to find, in superb condition usually surpass their new cost, and would perhaps be a shipping nightmare- costly to ship, would be a JBL Pro Studio Monitor from the 4300 Series, such as the 4331, 4333, 4335.

These may not be the "imaging Champs" of all time, compared to more costly speakers, but as far as slam, clarity, power handling, bullet proof build, and the retaining of value-cost outlay, you probably wouldn't find a better speak ever built for the money.

The speakers that I mention above IMO will literally eat Klipsch Cornwalls for breakfast (And a lot of other multi-thousand dollar boutique speakers also).

Sure, many times, the 4300 line came either painted Blue, or even white, but they also did produce many with a nice walnut veneer. Guess many of these found their way into homes as much as Studios.

The Home of the Theater version many times were grey. Not much to look at I admit.
But akin to the old saying "Whattya want, good looks, or good sound"? lol

While the Cornwalls have a big-deep sound, and very high efficiency, so do the 4300 Series of Vintage JBL's, but the Klipsch Cornwall IMO lack the degree of articulation, detail, the ability to produce phenominal Mids, and tight clean Bass, dynamics, speed, and overall quality sound of the the large 4300's.
Ever see a Cornwall in a recording Studio?

Of course this is my opinion only, I've always been a big fan of the vintage JBL Lines, and others, or yourself may have different wants, and needs, so mileage may vary. Mark
I have been very happy using Thiels with my McIntosh gear... My theater includes a pair of 7.2's powered by a MC 602 a MCS 1 powered by a MC 501 and a pair of scs3 powered by a MC 602 for a sub I am using a Velodyne HGS 15, Good luck on your quest !!!
wait it out & find a pair of mcintosh xtr 22's,they work fantastic for home theater & for music they are really something special,the xrt 22's are nothing like the 4 ohm plastic woofer speakers that mcintosh now sells as high end.

bass down to 20hz,great mid's & the sweetest/cleanest high's you could ask for & well within your budget.

ive ran my xrt 22's with a c2200 preamp & a ton of different mac amp's including the mc402,the mc402 c2200 combo would be a match made in heaven.
For a Mac MC402, the Sonus Faber Cremona and Cremona Auditor are exceptionally synergistic. Also beautiful workmanship and visual design. The Cremonas are $8K per pair, and can be had used for your price range, and the smaller Cremona Auditors are right in your price slot with stands and will work beautifully in your space.

Also, Zu Druids, but you won't need all that power. However, it can't hurt either.

Phil