Do I want a sub with VR-4jr's?

Hi everyone
I have a set of Von schweikert vr4jrs, powered by a sim audio processor and bel canto amps. I love the sound. I am using them for 85% music and 15% Home theatre. I am thinking about getting a sub to round out the extreme bottom end, but I am left thinking that due to the excellent low end extension of the jr's that I may not realise much benefit. If I do buy a sub I have no problem getting good quality...be it Rel, MJ or whatever.
Any recommendations? What subs do you think would work well for *seamless* integration with music and maybe help HT use?
My musical preferance is ANYTHING but country.
Cheers
S
superfly676
I agree with Shadorne. I guess we'll have to wait until you report back, but the VS's inside of a room with boundaries actually almost covers almost everything audible. It shakes the floor without a sub. The sub offering a few of the bottom Hz will almost be unnoticeable, and bass energy it could brings if turned to higher levels than natural will muddy up the rest of the sound (artificially added bass).

Rob
Yeah, you want a sub. You've gotta have that foundation if you want to be a true playa. Rel is the most musical, but velodyne DD is close and the built in EQ, TV graph hookup, mic, remote control, etc makes it the clear winner in this arena. On my DD15, I have different EQ and sub volumes set for dramas, action movies, jazz/classical, rock, and EQ defeat all available off of the remote. You can't do that with a rel, unfortunately.
I would like to hear a REL sub based on their reputation for blending seamlessly. I think that the DD line up ultimately will sound better due to being able to tweak them to fit the room space accoustically. The 4jr's are supposed to play down to about mid 20hz range. On paper, the sub would be useless. I just think that, in my room, I could add a bit of bottom end to give depth.

Shadorne... I think that perhaps you are right about punch. I have been a percussionist for a long time and what I am not hearing is not punch per say...it is more depth or weight to the sound. Maybe that is more feel in the barely audible LF range.

I think that the gain will be a small one, but small is a relative term. I am sure it will be more of a gain than cables..... or racing stickers on a honda civic.

Let the sub auditioning begin..........
"I think that the gain will be a small one"

I would disagree here. Do this right, and the performance gain will be monumental.

You switch cables, and you say "do I hear something different? i dont know" so you change them back and forth and can't pick anything up.

You add a quality sub to your system, and you will have:
* Bass dynamics
* Very clear fleshing out of soundstage and dynamics throughout the rest of the spectrum
* Other stuff, but i'm in a meeting and people are giving me looks so I need to close this
So I finaly got around to buying a test cd and measuring with an spl meter. Turns out there is a huge dip in the low end. I am loosing about 10-20db down around 32hz and below. I dont have any crossovers in the system, and I moved around the room with he same result so I dont think I was measuring in a null.....I wonder what the problem is?

Maril555
where did your vr4jrs roll off in your system?

Thanks
S