certin speaker makers harder to get dissounts fro

I have gotten a lot of good info here in the past few days, my new question is . The Martin logan dealers i have talked with said they never discount, but they are on sale( the vantage) for $60 off per speaker. Is this true for others who have bought ML speakers you could not get a price break even when spending a far amout of money. If it seems like i harp on money plese for give me im am but a Parmedic and it has taken me some time to put together 11000 dollars. Looking at some of the systems here that may be your cable budget. I dont wish you ill if if can afford this type of gear, I just wish I could also. Maybe one day, and it is fun to dream
cj1capp
Wow! You do sound just like a real live lawyer (no offense to any real live lawyers on this thread). Hope pre-law exams are going well. Study, study, study!

:)
Bignerd,

Hey, don't be cursing me like that. Ain't no lawyer and couldn't be one. Have too many ethics! :-)

But as a business owner it pays to know what the law is when it pertains my business.
Fiddler - as a sales manager for a manufacturer (not A/V related products), I also need to have a working knowledge of the legal aspects of pricing and agree with you completely. It's all about the "S" in M.S.R.P. - Manufacturer's SUGGESTED retail price. You can infer and suggest but can not demand that your distributors OR retailers use any specific price. From a legal standpoint, they're free to sell for whatever price they choose.

Also, there are numerous mentions of various business terms in this thread (and others) that seem to be taken as being synonymous that aren't. When people talk about "markups", "gross profit", "gross profit margins", etc., they need to understand what each of those terms mean and not use them randomly and arbitrarily.

Cost $100.00 sell for $150.00 = 50% markup
Cost $100.00 sell for $200.00 = 50% gross profit margin
Cost $100.00 sell for $200.00 = $100.00 gross profit dollars

Don't mean to "give a lesson" but way too many people use these terms without actually knowing what they represent.

Those who think that a 50% markup (33% gross profit) is "way too much" for a traditional bricks and mortar retailer to achieve aren't being realistic about what the actual costs of running a small business are. Most traditional small business owners that I've known would (at best) barely break even at a 50% markup.

As a consumer, I also want to get the "best deal" I can for my hard earned dollars ... but that doesn't always mean the "best price". As consumers we need to look for what we consider to be the "best value". Sometimes that is the "best price", other times the purchasing experience, the seller's product knowledge, warranty and service after the sale are what create the "best value". It's up to you to decide what comprises the "best value" for you.
I don't know where people are getting their information, but B&W is 40-45 at best depending on speaker. I have sold them. I agree with some in saying that discounting is great...online, but don't waste my time then buy it on line or expect me to service your piece once you have a problem. Most of us speciality retailers will no longer service anything unless bought at the store. Part of what you are paying for is a nice venue to hear the speakers, people to explain and educate you on the speakers and service after the sale. If none of the above is important then the internet in the place for you.