certin speaker makers harder to get dissounts fro

I have gotten a lot of good info here in the past few days, my new question is . The Martin logan dealers i have talked with said they never discount, but they are on sale( the vantage) for $60 off per speaker. Is this true for others who have bought ML speakers you could not get a price break even when spending a far amout of money. If it seems like i harp on money plese for give me im am but a Parmedic and it has taken me some time to put together 11000 dollars. Looking at some of the systems here that may be your cable budget. I dont wish you ill if if can afford this type of gear, I just wish I could also. Maybe one day, and it is fun to dream
cj1capp
If you are spending $11K, and they are offering you $120 off, that is about 1%. I would take my business elsewhere.
If they spent a lot of time with you I would still expect a 10% discount from retail. If you walked in and and all they had to do was write up the ticket then I would expect closer to 20%. That is the reality of today's internet marketplace.
high end speaker's have the largest mark up margins in all of high end audio(up to 60%)i wouldnt dream of buying a new speaker system from a dealer & have him slap me in the face with a 20% discount let alone 1%.

look for dealer's in your area who use the web & advertise on audiogon as they will be way more likely to set you up with a great deal instead of feeding you a line of bull about not being allowed to lower their price's due to constraint's placed on them,that's the biggest lie in high end.

better yet,after you decide on which model you want just wait it out here on audiogon,sooner or later the exact model your looking for will be listed close enough to pick them up & save 50% or more off retail.
It's people that expect the big discounts that are killing hifi, plain and simple make no excuses about it. If you had worked in retail for even a week you'd realize this. I can't imagine a dealer discounting those prices, he simply can't. Yes, he's making a markup, but he's investing time and effort into you. If you don't appreciate seek a better deal elsewhere. But DON'T waste his time then beg him for a lower price. You're insulting him and making yourself look like a fool.

More then 20% off at a high end dealer is mind blowing. For as much as you might think you're spending alot of dough (And you are if your in this hobby) you have to realize, this dealer isn't a big box store. He makes this 50-60% because he HAS TOO in order to survive. If you think I'm wrong check out how many hifi dealers there are, they are a dying bread. I guess that's ok right? Well it isn't because soon you'll be buying online only and dreaming of the days you could actually audition stuff in a store and learn from somebody.
How much are you willing to pay, and is the price worth it for what you get?

Discounts are just a marketing tool on a lot of products.

Remember that companies can always over-inflate the MSRP in order to offer a larger discount. Double the price, then offer 50% off....

Look at cars. People liked getting large rebates on American cars, so Detroit just raises the price so after the rebate they're getting the price they want anyway.