A question for the Pro's in setting up analog good

I purchased a Musical surroundings Phono Amp and a Music Hall MMF7 Table and arm which are on stereophiles list and also have pretty good private praise from audiogon and other sources, the combo has not been set up yet...

Question 1= I have a 47k rated cartridge of the MM variety, my phono amp is adjustable but should I set it at the 40k or 50k? I do not believe it is capable of doing exactly 47k....

Question 2= the cartridge is 1.5g recommended tracking weight... So should I experiment and go heavier to like 2g? what will the rule of thumb be, higher weight = better bass or what is the supposed effect?

Question 3(maybe)= Also, I have never had a table to know what VTA is? I guess it adjusts the height of the entire arm, so what is the goal with this adjustment, to get it parallel as possible while actually playing the LP? what effects will occur moving it up and down? (again for example better bass, worse bass, tradeoffs?)

I do have a shure stylus gauge and used it to set up a temporary table before the new purchases, with your basic alignment mirror for the whole cartridge setup and do know how to use them pretty well, I actually got the temp table sounding good and working perfectly no skips or anything, so now I just would like a decent understanding of what is gonna happen adjusting the parameter one way or the other and there effects, just in case It sounds like I am lacking in something what will correct it if you know what I mean. Like if the Bass is weak is more weight on the cart. the answer by going up a 1/4g, or changing the impeadance in the phono amp down to 40k vs. 50k going to fix it?

The phono amp does have gain adjustment too, but I know pretty much how that will work and this one is very good at the 40db setting as it sits.

Thanks and sorry for a long post
matrix
1: Set it to 50k although you probably wouldn't hear much difference between 40k and 50k. You could try both positions and stick with the one that sounds best to you.

2: tracking weight affects the ability of the stylus to track the record groove without distortion or skipping. It should not alter the frequency balance significantly. If you want to err on the high side of the recommended force I'd go to 1.6 or maybe 1.7, but not higher than that because raising the weight excessively could damage both the cartridge suspension and your records.

3: Recommended VTA angles vary from cartridge to cartridge. Some cartridges like to have the arm tipped up at the rear while other cartridges prefer the opposite. Either way, it shouldn't be too far from level while playing the record. Check with the cartridge manufacturer for their specific recommendation for your particular cartridge. Generally, MM cartridges are less sensitive to VTA issues than MC cartridges but proper adjustment can still make an audible difference.

4: You can also check the alignment of the cartridge with an alignment gauge to ensure minimal tracking error.

5: It wouldn't hurt to check the speed of the platter with a strobe disc if your tt has provision for speed adjustment.

6: The turntable's suspension and the type of rack and location of the rack (in the room) that supports the turntable can make significant differences in the way the turntable performs.

You should try to locate and read articles on proper turntable setup if you really want quality results. A lot of folks get subpar performance from their turntables because their attention to detail is poor, or they have overlooked some vital aspect of proper setup...
Sounds good, thats basically what I was looking for.. I plan to keep it simple, so 1.6g tops is the kinda thing I was looking for. Vta I will run it level as possible and then simply adjust the tracking weight when its in position of its final vta for now, Although I do not know what the suggested Vta is on my cart. I am not so sure it says anything in the specs about that. Thanks
Hi again, Matrix.

Here is a link that many of the A'gon experts turned me on to so I'll pass it along. Sorry, I'm too lazy to turn this into a hyper link. There is alot of very good information here and will answer your questions about adjustments and the effects.

http://www.walkeraudio.com/fine_tuning_your_turntable.htm
Ahh, that link is very good, thing is I think my cart. only has one setting listed not a range, it just states 1.5g, not 1.5-1.8g or anything like that so I guess just get it set a 1.5g period right? Thanks