importance of phono cartridge

Is a cartridge more important to total system sonics than a turntable/tonearm, will a $1600 TT/tonearm with a high end cartridge sound better than a $5000 TT/tonearm with a average cartridge
dsremer
My list

1.Turntable + setup
2.Arm + arm/turntable compatibility + setup
3.Stand + setup
4.Phonostage
5.Cartridge + cartridge/arm/phonostage compatibility + setup
6.Phonocable

Dynavector Karat,Linn Klyde or VdH MC1 are all the real high-end system needs if pp.1-4,amplification,speakers,cables and acoustics are up to the task.
>> Have no intentions of changing TT's so I am stuck with the JMW-9's it seems.<<

Reconsider changing the table/arm. This is your weak link and offers you the biggest opportunity to improve your system. Valhalla wire (yuk) and the other "Signature" tweaks do not change the fact that this is an average, at best, tonearm. You will never hear what better cartridges have to offer in this arm.
It's your money.
I am currently using a dynavector 20xl high output, the new Airy 3x is silver with silver base also High output .48mv will attempt to keep people posted as it breaks in. Also allways interested in table and arm advice. thanks again
Dennis
Jtimothya,
Great post, great insights. Thanks.

Dsremer,
If you got the HO Airy 3 then I retract my statement about the PH5's gain. It should be perfect.