importance of phono cartridge

Is a cartridge more important to total system sonics than a turntable/tonearm, will a $1600 TT/tonearm with a high end cartridge sound better than a $5000 TT/tonearm with a average cartridge
dsremer
A good cartridge will sound better in a very good tonearm than a very good cartridge in a good tonearm.
:-)
AT the risk of sounding like I'm talking down to you, I have to say: nothing in the system will replace what a lesser quality cartridge did not retrieve from the LP. The closer a piece of gear is to the source the more it will affect the sound since the rest of the system magnifies what took place earlier, while adding it's own signature.

Start at the source and work your way to the speakers. This will result in the most satisfying musical experience.
I totally agree with Nrchy!

1. cartirdge
2. arm
3. phono stage
4. phono cable
5. turntable

in that order!
As to your question. Let's assume that your price points do indeed translate to 3 times better performance from the arm and table. Also I'll make the assumption that we use the same middle of the road cartridge on both arm/table combos. In my experience the better table/arm will still sound better than the lesser table. It is very possible to get peak performance from a $500 cartridge on the better table/arm. It is often not possible to get peak performance from a $2000 cartridge on a lesser table/arm.

I'm guessing that you are trying to justify a cartridge purchase. The most anyone can do with the question you have asked is to give generalizations. If this is indeed what your about you could get much better responses if you ask about specific component combinations you may be considering.
Plz make a note that
1. a good or an excellent cartridge will only be good(excellent) if it matches tonearm.
2. a bad TT can only turn things worse for a good cartridge. in this case stay with cheap one.

If you're looking at the deck >$1k, than I think cartridge will make the most difference just like Nrchy described. Moreover you can also equate the cartridge influence on the system performance to a speaker due to the relatively same electro-magnetic principal of transfering an energy. I.e. freequency curves are very unlinear just like in speaker.