Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Rok, I repeated the test. This time I gave the bargain CD all the advantages. The CD was in my listening room and the LP was in the basement. After synchronizing the two, I listened in the basement for awhile before going back to the listening room. This time the results were even worse; it sounded like the bass tone controls (which I don't have) were turned up on the bass, and it was "boomy".

There is a possibility my love, affection and familiarity with this music could give me the ability to detect a deviation that others wouldn't sense.

Enjoy the music.
O-10:

Are you sure we are talking about the same Cd?
' The Three Sound Eight Classic Albums. Real Gone Jazz. RGJCD285'.

I am listening to it as I type. No way I can hear booming bass! And BTW, CD vs LP, upstairs / downstairs is not a valid comparison test, but even so, the CD should sound OK.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree about this one.

Cheers.

BTW, you just destoryed my rep as a 'reviewer'. Thanks!

Gene Harris is my most under appreciated pianist. Since I don't have a good explanation for this, I wont even try; however, I will explain how and why I discovered this.

My friend Rok, recommended some bargain CD's by The Three Sounds, and that's when I discovered how important a pianist Gene Harris is. It's not what he says, but the way that he says it. Each time he strikes a piano key, the way he does it is saying something.

I didn't discover this until I acquired "The Three Sounds" stripped of "nuance". This is such an important word to an audiophile, that I'm going to give you the definition. Nuance: A subtle or slight degree of difference, as in meaning, feeling, or tone; a gradation. A shade or graduation difference in colour, also as in carefully nuanced words.

The very same word can have a multitude of meanings, depending on how it's spoken. "Nuance", in my opinion, is the most important word in the English language to an audiophile.

Enjoy the music.

Rok, on my original post I stated, " I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record."

The reason I didn't mention that CD is because I felt it was lacking in "nuance". This CD contains some of the very best jazz in my collection. Since we disagreed on The Three sounds, there is a good possibility we'll disagree on this one as well, and that's why I'm going to reveal this CD.

Atlantic Jazz 7 81951-2, Ray Charles & Milt Jackson; Soul Brothers/Soul Meeting, is a 2 disc CD that is as good as it gets. Brother Ray even blows a mean sax. While the music is 5 star jazz, the sonics on this CD are inferior to the LP, which is why I didn't review it. Now I realize that for people who never heard the LP, that might not matter. I give you my favorite tune on the album "Blue Funk"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHold6ylvEM

Enjoy the music.

Maybe I should join "EAA", that stands for "Extreme Audiophiles Anonymous". After putting such people down, I've discovered that "Maybe I are one"?

This is a "jazz" music forum, and the music Rok recommended is some fantastic jazz.

Enjoy the music.