Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Pnmeyer, Miles was lucky, smart, and bold. He also had something many other African Americans didn't have, he had a relatively rich background. His father was a well respected dentist in a small town, this gave Miles "Chutzpah".

"Trio Tre Bien", this is a group that I just re-discovered. Although I heard this group some time ago, they slipped through the cracks of my memory and got lost. Now they're on my top play list. This CD "Coming Together" by the Trio Tre Bien is flawless, and I've only given this high praise to one other album. Every cut on this CD is tops. The musicians are: Jeter Thompson on keyboards, Harold Thompson, bass; Howard Thompson, drums. While none of the names are well known, the music is world class.

For me, this music is like the breath of fresh air I so desperately needed. Although my collection consists of the best of the best in jazz, hearing the same music for the umpteenth time can get old. The music on "Coming Together" flowed from one cut to the next in a manner that never lost my attention, and the sonics were spectacular. Recently, although the music is fine, "sonics" are sadly lacking on my new acquisitions of old music. This music is on par with my old music, but it's not old music, that explains the spectacular sonics; I'll describe them.

Vibes were ringing out of the center channel, with drums thumping on the left, while a solid bass pounded on the right; and all the while there was a holographic integrity to the music as a whole, this was all the way live. "Sonics", plus the music I love, is so rare. It went from wildly exotic and exhilarating, to deeply personal and introspective. That's when it connected to some long ago forgotten corner of my mind.

Rok has often mentioned gospel's connection to jazz; whether or not you have ever heard a gospel record in your life, or even know what Gospel is, you can feel it's presence in some of this music; it has a very moving emotional impact. These musicians, through their music, communicate who they are.

As much as I listen to music, and as much music as I've listened to, it's not easy for a group of musicians to keep me entertained for 73 minutes without losing my attention. That's how long this CD was and I truly enjoyed every last minute. The music on this CD is so far above anything I found on "You tube" by them in the past, I decided not to post a "You tube". This CD is Trio Tres Bien, "Coming Together".

Enjoy the music.

Frogman,

I do not disagree with your assessment. I did not intend to imply that outside forces are the only or even key reasons for success. Agree that Miles "constantly forward-looking attitude" is a character trait that contributed to his greatness. A lot of musicians did not have that attitude and it wouldn't have mattered what outside resources were available to them.
O-10:

With a review like that, how could I resist. Esp when the word 'gospel' is used. Only one left, I hope I get it. Thanks.

Cheers
Some more recent purchases:

Nina Simone -- The Best of the Colpix Years

Nina is great as she always is. The sound quality is hit and miss. The song selection is ok, but this being a compilation, the songs and the sound quality is disjointed.
She sings 'Fine and Mellow', I always thought that song belonged to Billie. After hearing Nina, it still belongs to Billie. The critics seem to feel that she did her best work at Colpix. If the title of this CD is correct, I disagree. I like the Philips output much better.

Branford Marsalis Quartet -- Four MFs Playin' Tunes

Who Dat?? Who Dat, say Jazz is dead?? It is alive and well, and this CD is proof. I am not familiar with his quartet, but they are great. Esp the piano player (Joey Calderazzo). But all are great. I think this is where the be/hard bop guys were heading. It's fresh, new, and progressive, with it's orgins/roots firmly planted in the past. This is the new Jazz! Don't need no Koreans or Arabs or any of the rest. I think Branford might be better than his brother.

Joe Henderson -- Our Thing

with/Joe Henderson, Tenor sax / Kenny Dorham, trumpet / Andrew Hill, piano / Eddie Khan, bass / Pete LaRoca, drums

Good Blue Note outing. Professionals at work. The liner notes of the LP, and the Remaster, this is a RVG CD, are something to behold. I had to check to see if they had been written by The Frogman! I wonder how many Jazz fans think of, and 'hear' the music the way Messrs. leonard Feather and Bob Blumenthal perceive it?

Dizzy Gillespie -- Dizzy's Big 4

with / Dizzy / Joe Pass / Ray Brown / Mickey Roker.
Typical OJC sound quality, which is very good. Dizzy continues to amaze me how he can play in the upper register with such ease and purity of tone. He is without peer doing that. 'Be Bop' is my favorite. They take it at light speed!! Birks Works is also very good. Another Norman Granz production. I am currently reading the Hershorn book about Granz.

Cheers