Differences between Accuphase C-2820 and C-3800?

Hi there, I'm mulling over the purchase of the C-2820 but have not totally written off the flagship C-3800. Does anyone know how they differ sonically?

Thanks in advance.
classact
Hey,

I have recently uppgraded from Accuphase C-2410 to C-2820.
I have to say I am very impressed.For example the perspective is rocksteady, the soundstage is wider and there is considerable more depth. Also ther is more ait around the instruments.You can easy follow all instruments for example in a pianoquintett of Schumann.There is a tremendous dynamic in for exampel a record of Bruckners great mass for large orchester and Choir and you can mor easy hear throug and follow the diffrent lines in the Choir.Today the C-2820 have bin runned 275 houres.I also own Accuphas A-45 And Accuphse Sacd-combo DP-800/DC-801- The speakers are 3,5-ways floorstanders from Danish Audiovector, very sensitive 92 dB.
Well, after much deliberation, and careful research, I am slowly coming back to Accuphase, even though it's much more expensive than Pass Labs. Pass Labs is very good, but it looks to me that Accuphase is more musical and accurate. What I really would like to do is have a "shoot out" between the 2 brands. Hopefully I'll make a final decision! The 3 units I'm looking at are the C-2420 preamp, A-46 amp, and C-27 phono stage. I think this would really be a dynamite combo.
Audiozen, sorry for my very late reply. I too am glad the spirits have calmed down. Communication between people (both verbal and in writing) is a difficult thing. Debates like this often happen between passionate individuals. :) Even though sometimes I disagree with you conclusions and/or approach, I certainly respect the fact that your opinions are based on personal research (which sometimes seems to be quite involved, e.g. your thread WHEN DID DIGITAL TECHNOLOGY BEGIN?).

Coming back to the C-2810, C-2820 and C-3800 pre-amps, I still believe that, unlike the C-3800, the C-28XX models do not have a balance AAVA volume control. Since I did not do a direct comparison of these products, and also because of a very recent experience (read my next post), I will refrain to make further speculations.
Labo, congratulation for the new C-2820 pre-amp and thanks for sharing
your experience with us. I should say that what you have reported (i.e. the C-
2820 being much better than the C-2410) is very much in line with my recent
experience.

I have recently bought an A-65 power amp - mostly because it had a very
decent price and also because I was hopping to end the search for a power
amp. Since my A-45 amp has much more power than my 104 dB Avantgarde
speakers need, I did not expected a significant difference. However, I have
quickly realize that my assumptions were incorrect. Compared to
the A-45, the A-65 has: 1) a much more relaxed, controlled and fuller
presentation of the bass, and 2) a more stable and better defined stereo
image and sound stage. The A-65 also retrieves more details than the A-45.

I should also say that I have found the A-45 & C-2410 & DP-600 combo to
sound slightly inferior (but overall comparable) to the A-65 + DP-600 combo,
i.e. the C-2410 pre-amp is bypassed and the signal of the DP-600 cd player
is fed directly into the power amp. On the other hand, I have preferred the A-
65 & C-2410 & DP-600 combo over the A-65 + DP-600 combo.

Dave, it's good to hear you are reconsidering Accuphase.
Nvp,
Congrats on your A-65 acquisition, they should be awesome.
I had inadvertently deleted my old system page while trying to edit things. It's dated
anyway, will post latest when I find the time to take some new pics. In the meantime
just laying low whilst enjoying the A-200s and DP-900/DC-901 settling down and
rounding in to form nicely. With few recent cable upgrades, better than I had
expected, so big smile here. Next up probably trying out their Power Supply units..
but one (baby) step at a time. ;)

Labo,
Have you tried playing with the HS-Link interfacing your DP-800 > DC-801?
I did with 900s, and the improvement wrought over the standard Accuphase's green
freebie cable is not subtle and definitely a worthwhile upgrade. Few cables worth
noting/checking out are Acoustic Revive Lan-1.0PA, AIM Shieldio NA3-R, and
Audioquest Diamond Ethernet RJ/E. Do give them a go and let us know. Goodluck.