Differences between Accuphase C-2820 and C-3800?

Hi there, I'm mulling over the purchase of the C-2820 but have not totally written off the flagship C-3800. Does anyone know how they differ sonically?

Thanks in advance.
classact

Hi Classact, it looks like the upgrade and Accuphase bugs have bitten you well, viz. less than a year ago you were contemplating whether to buy an Accuphase or a Musical Fidelity integrated, and now you are thinking to go after the Accuphase top of the line pre-aplifier.

While I do not have experience with either pre-amp, I advise you to proceed with care and patience. I know you have ProAc Response K6 speakers and you were planing to buy an Accuphase A-46 power amp. IMO none of the two is no where near the league of the C-3800 pre-amp. Consequently, the price difference between the C-2820 and C-3800 might be better spent in another direction, e.g. buy an A-65 instead of an A-46, or use it to partially cove the price of a good Accuphase digital source. I would also not dismiss just yet the Accuphase solid state power amps, e.g. the P-6100, P-7100 or the evolution of P-7100 (which should be release in the very near future).

Given the amounts involved I would not take a decision before doing the following comparisons:

1) A-46 & C-2420 vs. A-46 & C-2820
2) A-46 & C-2820 vs. A-65 & C-2820
3) A-65 & C-2820 vs. A-65 & C-3800

Oce you have settled on a pre-amp also compare the A-46, A-65 and P-6100 power amps. (Of course, you should use your speakers when make any of these test.)

Dfwmediagroup, maybe you could shad some more light on the differences between the power amps I have mentioned above. You seems to be a deal so probably you have much more experience with these amps than me.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Paul
Wow, Paul you really know your Accuphase. As for me, I'm moving on, it's just too expensive here in the US, and the resale is poor. Thanks again for all of your help over the last year or so.
Hey Classact, any news so far? Did you listen and/or compared these pre-amps?
Hi Nvp - apologies for the late reply. Yes the upgrade bug has bitten and yes I have listened to the A-46 versus the P-6100 and preferred the A-46 which I thought was a lot more musical, especially with the ribbons on my K6s. I considered the A-65 but it doesn't have two speaker outputs, which is what I need. So it'll be the A-46 for me.

As for preamps - no, I haven't listened to any yet. I figured I'd add the A-46 first, then wait a while (and save like mad!).

Dfwmediagroup - thanks very much for your input. Yes, I think if I do decide on a dedicated preamp, I should seriously consider the C-3800. Will have to see how the finances go after the A-46 purchase, and also whether I can have a home demo of the 2820 against the 3800 to see how each performs in my system.

Many thanks again for your inputs guys.
Quote : "I considered the A-65 but it doesn't have two speaker outputs, which is what I need. So it'll be the A-46 for me."

Hi Classact, are you using the A-46 as yet? If so, did you find bi-wiring them wrought much further improvement? Appreciate if you could extent on the difference.

Can imagine how mighty fine your ProAc's are sounding now driven by A-46.. Enjoy!