A book shelf speaker to go on a bookshelf.

I am looking for a high quality speaker that can actually sit on a bookshelf near to a back wall as I no longer have room for a standmount.Any experience or ideas please.
zola1970
NHT SB3- great speaker on its own, not terribly expensive, flush mounted tweeter, sealed box

On a bookshelf you are going to be limited as to how good anything can sound so there is little sense in spending big $$$. THis is a versitile and durable little speaker.

Good luck!
Not sure how much space you have, but I had a very good expereince with the B&W 602 S3's. They are front ported which enables them to sit real close to a back wall. For a monitor they have a very natural sound across a broad spectrum. Decent price, especially if you can grab some used. There's also a matching sub that you could mate later on if you wanted to.

I also tested the Acoustic Energy Aesprit for a month, Phenomenal speaker with unbelievable bass output.

Good luck.
If you can find a less expensive, used version of the classic LS3/5A from Spendor (or another British manufacturer with the BBC license to produce this model) you'll be pleasantly surprised at the high level of listening enjoyment.
Mine are positioned at the front of the bookshelf edge, and you can experiment with support, such as AudioPoints, or Aurios, or Mi-Roller. Great for nearfield listening since the sound image snaps into focus amazingly close to the front of the speakers, and does not have deeper bass, so not as wonderful listening far out in my room.