TDL Speakers - Pls. Read & Share Your Thoughts

Hi,

I have been using TDL REFERENCE STUDIO MONITOR 'M' speakers for quite a few years now.They have kept me very happy & content through these years .

TDL speakers are rarely spoken of & i know only a few people who own them. I thought it will be interesting to share the experiences of pepole who have owned or heard TDL speakers.

IMO TDL's ref monitor's are very well balanced speakers.I have heard quite a few expensive and well reputed speakers in the $10k - $20k range, but none has made me want to give up the TDL's. Some were good at doing one thing well but the overall picture was somehow not complete. Many of them fell far short in the lower frequencies and this is where the TDL's trully excelled, reaching down to nearly 18 Hz.

I guess as with any system matching is crucial and i found tubes to be the best match but to enjoy the bass depths these speakers reach you need SS control. I settled for a Supratek Chardonnay tube pre with a Mac MC352 power amp. This combo works *** MAGIC *** for me. I have something to look forward to at the end of every day. Something us audiophiles have in common i guess to keep us sane in this crazy world. Sit back and let it flow !!!

I would love to hear from any A'gonners who have owned or experienced these trully special speakers. There's next to nothing to be found on the web about TDL's so i think it would be nice to start a thread on this one time great company.

Pls. pay your tribute to " TDL " by sharing your experiences with ANY TDL model you would like to mention along with various sys. combinations you might have tried on them.

From a TDL fan !!!
dilly
HI Dilly, I'm YOT from Thailand. About 12 years ago I've bought the Studio one from HongKong, with The Preamp n Typhoon[power amp] of Musical Fidelity. Just 60watts/ch. They drive the Studio one as well,they're too small,but they can go down deep by a merit of wonderful transmission line system.
I sold both of pre and power-amp several years ago, still keep the Studio one. Last year I try changing all of wire in the speaker with Cardas wire [for modify ]. The sound comes alive,everything's improve even drive them with the quite cheap amp-made in Thailand. Although they're too old, I still loving them.
Regards / YOT
Hello Yot.
Nice to hear from another fan. I have heard the
Studio 1'M' . I am not suprised you have kept them for 12 years.

Thanks for the tip on the Cardas wiring. Is there a particular type you would recommend ?
This was a long term option i was considering as well.
Also have you considered vandenhull cables before opting for cardas.

Cheers,
Dilly, Just as solid 14gauge wire , there r in both of blue n red insulator for modify. I bought them at Cardas's dealer in Thailand. [ For more detail,u could contact to Cardas in USA directly.]
VDH is fine with mid-range,but bass too slow [ clumsy, I think ] It's not suit for transmission line. Cardas made all of sound improve noticeably, tighten bass,n deep bass can go down deeper than ever,marvelous mid n high.
Should let them work as usually,about one month later. its merit would gently emerge.
Regards / YOT
Hello folks,

I'am also a, very satisfied, owner of a pair TDL reference.
I settled for a Aitos line-tube pre-amplifier with two Aitos OTL-mono's power amp's for de mid/high section and a Aragon 8008ST for de bass units.
http://digilander.libero.it/piani/tdl_electronics.htm