Maggie's and cats

I am thinking of taking the plunge on a pair of Maggie 1.6's for my second system (surround system). They seem like the best sound I can get for the money. I have two great reservations however named Heebee and Geebee.......... my two cats. I had the speakers home for a couple of days for audition with no troubles, but can just imagine walking in the door one night to find they have been turned into a huge jungle gym/scratch post by my two manx'. Is anyone out there in a similar situation? Has anyone found any solutions to the problem. Up until now I had not even considered these speakers for this very reason; thing is I really like the sound (and value).

Thanks
Cmo
cmo
Claymore mines wired up around the Maggy's, dude. It's the only way. Just make sure the Maggy's aren't in the blast zone.
Once upon a time we had cats and Maggies. Sometimes I would come into the living room to find a cat perched on top of a Maggie. I have described my cat training method as "shock and awe", and it worked. The cat quickly learned that the Maggies were a no-no. Fortunately no damage was done...there was enough clearance between the grill cloth and the mylar. (But this was the old style cloth...woven not knitted like the new ones).

If the cat decided to use them as a scratching post, you would have a problem. I have seen a spray can of pet repellant in Petco. Try that.
When I had Maggies I had a local seamstress make me a set of custom heavy vinyl slipcovers for the speakers. It had two benefits - it kept the cats from clawing the speakers, and it kept UV light off the speakers.

I simply removed the slipcovers when I wanted to listen, and put them back on when I didn't. Cost about $100 for some very nicely-made covers.
And now for a serious answer...put poster board on the floor around the Maggies. Place cocked mousetraps under the poster board. When the cats walk on the poster board it will spring one or more of the mousetraps. The poster board will keep the cats from being injured but the sound will be like a small firecracker. The cat(s) will likely do a back flip. After this happens a few times, it will not be necessary to keep the mousetraps. As time goes on you can cut the size of the poster board down, little by little. The cats will always associate the poster board with that scary sound and stay away. Basic behavior modification. Thanks to B. F. Skinner
I'll volunteer to protect them from the cats as long as you provide the vittles and beverages.