Gilmore Audio planars revealed

The Gilmore Audio speaker have finally been photographed for the world to see: Gilmore Audio

Disclaimer - I'm a dealer for the Gilmores, though at this point I'm still awaiting my first pair, as they haven't begun shipping yet.

The Gilmores push the edge of the envelope for planar technology in several areas. Innovations include an extremely thin (3 mil) Kapton diaphragm; bass extension to below 20 Hz; easy 8-ohm load combined with 92 dB efficiency (you can drive 'em with Atma-Sphere M-60's!); and maximum output level in the mid to upper 120's.

Designer Mark Gilmore is the webmaster of the Atma-Sphere Owner's Group website, as well as of the Sound Lab Owner's Group site. He's been around for a while, but this is his first commercial loudspeaker design (to the best of my knowledge).

I haven't heard 'em yet so can't comment on the sound (I know, that's all that really matters after all). I'm expecting a pair before the end of the year, and will post comments then.

Duke
audiokinesis
I hope you at least feel somewhat better Keith (and that you can find a facility for any continuing treatment that suits you better too). Best wishes fighting your illness.
The planar woofers in theses speakers look very similar to the Dynavox SW-1220FL. Go to http://www.dynavox.com/, Products Speakers, 12". They, along with the WP-1220, are the closest I've seen to the original Carver Amazing woofers as far as specs go. Has anybody tried these drivers in their Amazings?
Hello Brentslone,

Yes, from the picture, this True-tone replica looks like our Gilmore Audio driver (the dynavox may actually still be made by True-tone). But if you had the two to compare side-by-side you would see quite a difference physically, which translates into dramatic performance differences.

Our aluminized surface is made from a totally different material that is much thicker, yet the overall mass of our driver is considerably less -- thus it is much more responsive with much less distortion (about an order of magnitude less -- it can take 10dB more power before achieving same distortion level).

Our frame is die cast -- theirs is stamped. Ours is essentially non-resonant -- there's rings like a bell.

Magnet structure, venting, heat sinks are in a totally different realm. Our woofers don't get hot when they are pushed. In fact, there is almost no obvious increase in temperature, thus performance parameters stay constant.

Again, we make our own (as we do the ribbons) and they are the result of years of development. They have much less distortion and are much more responsive than any woofer we know of; they can take incredible amounts of power and remain cool as a cucumber; they go lower (about 5Hz lower). So they play louder and with much more authority, have much lower mass so they respond much quicker, have much less resonance so they play much cleaner, and as a result of both of these have much less distortion. And they go lower. Other than that, they are the same.

The Carver legacy was a starting point and a fine one. Mark was able to understand the potential in that design -- a potential that was yet to be realized . The Gilmore Audio speakers represent a dramatic improvement in every performance parameter -- Dramatic! In this sense, the Amazings are a very distant cousin. Every component needed to be redesigned in order for these improvements to be achieved -- stand, panel, drivers, cross-over. These were not simply upgrades and tweaks -- these were major redesign initiatives. The result --the best home audio speaker that ever was in our opinion. They will be ready for shipment to end- users by the beginning of April and will be in the Glacier Showrooms and affiliated dealerships around the country just before then. So soon you will have a chance to hear them firsthand and judge for yourself.
"The result the best home audio speaker that ever was in our opinion" have one comment but can't type it because I'm still ROFLMAO
mejames, agreed.

sellerwithintegrity? WTF? you are such an unabashed promoter that IMO you should always and immediately insert the caveat that you sell whatever you promote. you have no credibility here---which is why you have the "withintegrity" moniker...anyone who's been around long enough knows that someone who ardently claims to be something enough..probably isn't...

brainwater: i finally caught your earlier post: typical markup in hi-fi is 5x over COG (as noted in Sterophile). so, using that metric, WP7s cost 4.5k in materials to make--and lets not forget wilson's name cache & outstanding dealer network/support---that is part of the markup's benefit. gilmore---no comparison---i'd bet its markup is more like 7x, and his dealer network and brand cache cannot compare to wilsons. source the drivers, the corian, and the parts for the x-over...you want to tell me that's 7.5k or so (i.e. 2x markup)? no chance---figure 2-3k cost, 5-7x markup.

keeping it real.
rhyno