ARC Support

FWIW, I'll relate my recent experience with Audio Research Corp. I've been a customer of AR for some years, on and off, including the purchase of reference gear over the years. I recently have had to place most of my system up for sale due to personal reasons, and this included a pair of Reference 300 MKII amps purchased new in Dec 2000. I accepted an offer from a gentleman in France at a fair agreed upon price. He asked that I ship them to AR to have them swapped out to 220 for use in Europe, and have them shipped on to him. The cost of the service was not an issue. Anyway, without going into the agonizingly frustrating details, heres what happened in a nutshell: AR told me basically they wouldn't do it because it would mean the possibility of losing a NEW sale for them and their European distributor. They were/are seemingly more concerned with selling a new product, in Europe, than supporting a long time customer who purchased this product at a local US dealer at 10% off list price of 30K. I explained the guy wasn't going to buy new anyway, it was beyond his price point. Didn't seem to matter. My point isn't to engender debate between AR supporters and detractors. This is merely my experience, take it for what it's worth. I personally am incredulous, find this to be in poor form, and certainly am not inclined to patronize AR in the future.
mes
I was both surprised and distressed to hear of the difficulties experienced by Mes, especially for such a large expenditure. With no intention of spinning or detracting from Mes’ unfortunate experience, I can report that “in the USA”, I have received solid customer service and dealer support for ARC gear for 18+ years. I have purchased a sequence of ARC gear/upgrades since the eighties, starting with a SP-6B and D-90 up to now, with a LS25 and VT100MKII. By obtaining a return authorization # prior to shipping, all upgrades were timely and each piece has been reliable (with the exception of a tube-flaming D-160 I owned). A reliable dealer has always advised returning products for upgrades at a “slow” time, i.e., summer months or at a time when a new product is not being rolled out, thus shortening turn-around time. I readily admit that both upgrades and discontinuation of products without an upgrade path (e.g., personally, the SP-14 and D-125 come to mind) have been frustrating and expensive for me also. Despite my regular auditions of other amps/preamps, I still come back to the “sound” of their gear. As mentioned above, a less expensive and far less frustrating way of navigating the ARC upgrade path is to stay away from the current product line.
I really could not imagine an "audiophile" life without ARC equipment. I have used ARC as my reference equipment forever. This company is truly one of the industry leaders and rarely have they not lead in the best sound category. As for Leonard Gustafson, at ARC. He is an old school gentelman that, will not make a decision for you. He will follow company policy, and should not be faulted for this. The unfortunate situation that MES has experienced certainly leaves a bad taste in your mouth towards ARC, but as Nanderson so rightfully reminds us, your equipment is never obsolete or unfixable, no matter how old, with this company. I am not sure, even McIntosh can say this.
My advise to MES is to contact former ARC ace technician Steve Huntley at Great Northern Sound. He will surely be able to help,and will be, most likely cheaper, than ARC. He will have ARC credentials to satisfy your overseas customer. Good Luck..........Frank
Frank: I appreciate the fine experiences you have had with ARC and am glad to see you have not been as poorly treated as Mes and I have. While Leonard may be following company policy, he, being the "front man" for ARC, should have a bit more tact and understanding as to the needs of customers. MES is a human being who is currently going through some unfortunate circumstances. Isn't there enough for him to worry about without having to deal with the petty politics of a company he gave $30,000 to just a short time ago?

Let's try and keep this in the right perspective, he bought brand new Ref 300 MKII monoblocks in mid-December. After listening to them for a short time, finds himself having to part with them, against his will, to take care of family matters. After not being able to find a buyer in the US willing to pay "fair market value" for them, finds a buyer from Europe who will buy them as long as the amps can be converted prior to shipment. ARC (Leonard and others) heard the reason for MES having to sell the amps and refused to help him, due to bullshit politics. Is this a company worth supporting?

BTW, Your suggestion of contacting Steve Huntley is a fine one that I think MES should persue as well.
I have no experience with ARC service but I do own an LS16 preamp that isn't bad. It amuses me though that ARC comes out with revised models (MKII MKIII MKIV.... etc) every couple years! You would think with 30 years in the business they would have gotten one right by now! ;-)
Abecollins, are you aware that even the LS16 has been upgraded to mark II status.