Best Preamp for under $1750.00

Seeking recommendations for a preamp in the $750 to $1750 range. Balance of system consists of Aerial 8's, Bryston 7B's, and CAL CL-15. Room acoustics and speakers would favour lean over lush; I'm looking for something musical without being on the "warm" side. Music preferences include acoustic, jazz, and rock. Will re-cable according to final selections
emmett
kasboot, how wood i hook up my turntable, tuna, & cd w/no preamp? and, besides, when it comes to cd, i'd much rather have it go thru a pre then be run straight-in to an amp. my experience was that a great pre leveled the playing field between cd-players from $500 to $3k. and yes, the spendy player (which was *designed* to be run straight-in to an amp) still sounded better thru a pre...

ymmv, doug s.

Your post and another thread that is currently running got me thinking about the solid state Bel Canto preamp, the PRE-1, that was built to go along with the EVo 200.2. This is a very transparent, musical preamp that doesn't get in the way of the signal. It doesn't have a solid state or tube signature, really, at least not that I can hear. Very transparent, without being too lean or too lush. Sounds great with the Evo, but I imagine it would also do well with the Bryston. My friend was running it with the California Audio Labs CL-20 with great success. The slight warmth and fullness of the CAL gear seems to match well with the transparency of the Bel Canto solid state. I haven't checked recently, but there have been a couple of PRe-1 for sale here on Audiogon, so even though the unit is over your budget new ($2300, I think) you should be able to find one in your price range used. Good luck!!!
There are many great preamps listed here. The two I have tried lately that I like a lot are the ARC LS-16 and the Aloia with the inductive power supply. With the Aloia, after the smoke cleared, the price came way down. It is now available in the range of your top dollar as is the LS-16. I still own both and am selling the LS-16. Good Luck in your quest!!! Roger
I like the Musical Design SP-2b very musical and good tonal balance. I think it goes for around a grand. Plant hifi did a review on it a while back.
Sturgus
cat, cat or...cat: under $1750 its difficult but used MkII or MkI Signature may be within reach. I will join advice given to you above: first audition all available preamps and only then listen to CAT and then you will know. Good luck. Simon