McIntosh - is it that great?

I'm just curious if McIntosh gear is all that great. How does their older power amps compare to new products from other high end manufactures? Are there any products I should stay away from. I like the idea of owning vintage McIntosh stuff. Most of their stuff seems pricy. Is it because it's that good or do people just like to collect their products. thanks for you opinions--Matt
mattman
When I owned my VT100 mk3, which replaced a much loved 4 year affair with a Mk2, I brought home an MC275 for a couple of nights, and did not feel it was better than the ARC. When I brought home the MC402, I could not sell both my VT100 mk3 and my VT200 fast enough. I thought tubes were the closest path to reality, but the 402 changed that big time. My advice, try one before you buy the 275.
Dbarger, this is the second recommendation I have read about McIntosh solid state amps-especially the 402. I too am interested in the MC275 amp. I have the old Infinity RS 1-B's that have ALWAYS been powered with a tube amp on the mids and tweeter's. First it was the ARC 100 mkll and now the ASL Hurricanes. I was considering 2 MAC's MC275 but I would like to hear more from you (and others) about their SS amps and why they should so good to you?
When the RS 1-B's came out they (Infinity-Nudell) recommended using tubes on the top. I use a Perreaux 3150B amp for the woofers.

RWD (Rick)
RWD, I like the 402 because it just does not sound like either a SS amp or a tube amp. I liked tube amps because they sounded the most like what I heard in real life, but the 402 is even better in that regard, plus it is more detailed and supremely musical. Images just seem to have less cardboard cutout and more body. Previously all the SS amps I have tried, which include some very notable ones, have all clearly sounded like solid state, with an electronic signature. The 402 does not have this signature. It also shows that what I previously thought was sibilance inherent in some recordings was an artifact of my system. I have always had a pretty clean system, but now with my Ref3, MC402, and Quads it is like a microscope on the recording. Many old favorites have new details exposed that are frankly a little disconcerting.
Dbarger, how does your ARC Ref 3 mate up with the MC402? This past w.e. I heard a demo of the new C2300 & MC250 driving the Quad 2805's, so you bet I'm envious. Some though have complained of an impedence mismatch between Mac amp and Arc pre.....hogwash?
The Ref 3 mates with any amp well. It has a very low output impedance. I cannot speak more highly of the Ref3. Supremely versatile and great sound. Sounds great balanced or single-ended. I have no desire to audition any more preamps or power amps. It is a nice feeling!