McIntosh - is it that great?

I'm just curious if McIntosh gear is all that great. How does their older power amps compare to new products from other high end manufactures? Are there any products I should stay away from. I like the idea of owning vintage McIntosh stuff. Most of their stuff seems pricy. Is it because it's that good or do people just like to collect their products. thanks for you opinions--Matt
mattman
I dont know about the older equipment but I recently heard a very high end set up in a custom built room at a local dealer. I personally thought it was the worst system I ever heard and I have heard better set ups at chain stores at one third the price. I highly recommend auditioning something else. Everyone likes something different and maybe you will love it but before you drop your hard earned cash I would shop around a bit.
Nor would I make up your decision on one persons "one time" audition.

I have read numerous good reports, both from mags and users, on various products from their current line.
FYI, Avideo, McIntosh was bought (and bailed out) by a Japanese company--I believe it's Mitsubishi...
No, Psychic, it was Clarion the Car stereo people. Mac would have disappeared were it not for that buyout.