McIntosh - is it that great?

I'm just curious if McIntosh gear is all that great. How does their older power amps compare to new products from other high end manufactures? Are there any products I should stay away from. I like the idea of owning vintage McIntosh stuff. Most of their stuff seems pricy. Is it because it's that good or do people just like to collect their products. thanks for you opinions--Matt
mattman
I used to sell Mac equipment in the 80's (college job). THose 10% direct from MAC commission checks were real nice. However I'd much prefer Audio Research, Sonic Frontiers, etc. MAC is very pricey and a little out of date, of course I could say that about AR too

Yes. They are well built (fit and finish and conservative component margins), have a completely neutral sonic signature and resale second to none. With respect to the sound, they have very low noise/coloration and no part of the frequency spectrum calls attention to itself. No boosted lows/highs or rolled off anywhere either. They are also well engineered (refined), unlike most other esoteric amps I've owned. No strange clicks, pops or noises, good protection and soft clipping which really does work without being audible. It can save speakers too. The meters are truly useful with peak hold and they can be turned off. Looks are subjective, but at least they will match (if you care) if you add newer models later on.
I agree with Nightdoggy. I am currently moving up from
Adcom separates from the mid-90s to McIntosh gear; and
very pleased with the clarity, detail, and pleasant sound.
My Thiel 3.5 speakers are very revealing of every up-
grade I've ever made (including speaker cables and inter-
connects); and the Mac gear just sounds great to me.
Also - unlike some audiophile "darlings" that seem to
go out of favor in a year or so - Mac gear holds it's value
very well. If you don't like the sound, you can always sell
it for pretty much what you paid for it. I might also
mention that MacIntosh is a solid American company in
business for a long time. You won't be wondering about
service - if you need it - two or three years down the road.
I dont know about the older equipment but I recently heard a very high end set up in a custom built room at a local dealer. I personally thought it was the worst system I ever heard and I have heard better set ups at chain stores at one third the price. I highly recommend auditioning something else. Everyone likes something different and maybe you will love it but before you drop your hard earned cash I would shop around a bit.
Nor would I make up your decision on one persons "one time" audition.

I have read numerous good reports, both from mags and users, on various products from their current line.