Cd storage..what's an audiophile to do?

I have a small Cd collection of about 200 discs. It is already difficult to find a way to find a rack to store them in and I do not even have the >1000 disc collections that some of you have. So I ask you, how do you all store these large CD collections and as an extra bonus question how do you arrange them?
jdwek
Just a note to say that the plain jewel cases are replaceable. Most computer super stores (Fry's, CompUSA, etc.) have them on hand. The inserts like liner notes and "covers", as well as the paperboard cases some releases come in, are irreplaceable as Megasam points out. As a rule of thumb, if it's unique, I keep it.
O.K., here's what I built to hold my CD collection:
6" wide X 48" long pre-finished shelving (white or wood)
3/8" X 72" threaded steel rod, nuts and washers to fit
the rod. Simply measure and drill holes in all four
corners of each shelf (use a square to make sure all holes are the same distance from the edges!) Screw the thing
together. You can adjust the distance of the shelves to
fit whatever you want to hold. I use 3/8" connectors on
the bottom of the steel rod to level the unit. I have
built component racks using the same method and it works
pretty well! I usually paint the steel rod flat black if
I use wood shelves or white to match white shelves.
I think my total investment in the CD rack is about
$25-$30.
www.sorice.com for 300 CD hardwood cabinets with glass doors (keeps dust out) and shelves-- classy looking, about $180-200. depending on options. I have 2 with smoked glass doors plus some homemade cabinets with smoked plexiglass doors. Craig
Megasam,
Thanks for the correct URL for the Boltz website...I really need to catch up on my sleep!
We went through this dilemma last year after breaking the 300 disk barrier. After a lot of looking we settled on the Can-Am products - relatively inconspicious, lifetime build, enormous capacity and easily expandable. While not cheap, they are actually good value when you consider what you get. While they're textured steel, they're attractive enough for most living and listening rooms. Another interesting product we considered was the "EZ-View" system from New Age Furniture (www.music-storage.com). My wife and I have separate drawers for our collections - she prefers to go alphabetically; I prefer to group by genre.