Can’t believe anyone

Has anyone else had this experience? First I should say that like many people I have a busy schedule and I don’t have unlimited time to audition gear, so I try rely on dealers to steer me in he right direction to narrow down choices.

I am in the middle of trying to upgrade my system. When I went to a dealer in the Chicago area and told him what kind of gear I had, he immediately by system was "uneven "and I HAD TO upgrade my CD player (from Arcam 7se to 8se or 9). A few days ago I went to a different dealer. As before I mentioned my system, this time it was amp that needed to be upgraded. As for my CD player, he does not feel that the move form the 7se to the 9 is really an upgrade.

So, whom do I believe? Yes, I know—listen for myself and then decide, but then what the hell good are dealers for?

By the way, my current system is:

Integrated Amp: Arcam alpha 10
CDP: Arcam 7se
Speakers: Dynaudio 1.3 Mk II
Interconnects: Nordost Blue Heaven
Speaker wire: MIT T2
xmore
I have heard the Arcam cd players. My experience is that the 7SE is better than the 8, and pretty close to the 9. I don't beleive that upgrade would solve your problems.
Hi Xmore,
there's a really cool dealer off Lincoln Avenue. It's called Audio Image. give him a call at 773-334-2400.
Does your integrated have preouts? If it does, my first choice would be to get a separate and better quality power amp for your system, the Dynaudios are inefficient and can use the juice. Something like a McCormack DNA series amp, or one of the new Bel Canto Evos would be a couple of nice choices that aren't terribly expensive. You could then upgrade to a nice separate tube preamp later on as funds permit. I would also think some better speaker cables would be worth a try, as I am not at all a fan of MIT.
Due to their use of HEAVY quantities of parts in the crossover circuit, Dynaudio speakers are BIGTIME power suckers. Even with their small speakers you will need a pretty reasonably sized amp for best performance. I would look for something that does well at either 8 or 4 ohms with a reasonable amount of dynamic headroom. If the amp does not go up by double or almost double at 4 ohms as compared to what it was rated at 8 ohms, i would NOT consider it for your specific system. Even though the Dynaudio's are designed to be a relatively stable load, they are not an "easy" load in the fact that they take quite a bit of muscle to play at high volumes with any type of "liquidity" or "lucidness". Using a relatively small amp will require you to push it, reducing its' musicality and "liquidity" even further while introducing a "veil" or slight "haze" to the music. Increasing the power available to these specific speakers in a quality fashion should get you the the dynamics and openness that your looking for. Sean
>
Try Joe Galanti @ Superior Audio in Chicago. By appointment only. Small selection, but honest and he has a great ear!