Newbie with "bright" system

I recently bought a new power amp, and for the first time, my system now hints at recreating a music "venue" rather than playing songs. For this long-time music fanatic, this is incredibly exciting (I now realize I'm hopelessly hooked). Pushing onward, my current system seems "bright" and "harsh," causing listening fatigue at moderate to high listening levels. It also lacks believable bass detail and extension. Looking for low to moderately priced ($300-1500) incremental, high-value upgrades - I suspect cabling and receiver as pre-amp - what to upgrade first?
Arcam Alpha 8SE - CD player
Nakamichi AV-10 as pre/pro
Bryston 4BST
B&W CDM 7SE
Bettercables IC's and biwire speaker cables
"Industrial" metal rack
Any insight/advice welcome. Thanks in advance for input. Mark
mraybeck
Simple dump the nakamichi and buy a neutral cable and you should be set. Nakamichi is brite sounding gear... Good luck and dont get stressed.
If you are worried about loosing the features that the "NAK" has by going with a tubed pre amp, try a Sonic Frontiers Pre amp. It's tubed but it's a neutral sounding unit with a touch of warmth that if sort of gives you the best of both worlds. It has a remote, surround bypass if you would like to venture into HT and a host of connections including Balanced ins & outs. Now is the time to buy anyone of the Line models because new editions just came out so the originals, (I have a Line 1), are going dirt cheap brand new. I think you can get them for $1399 new and about $1,000 used. It's really hard to beat at these prices.
Slap some Shakti "On Lines" onto you interconnects and see what happens. Sure you're paying $100 for 50 cents worth of material but, hey, if it works it's worth it -right?
goto: www.amusicdirect.com
I appreciate the feedback so far. I knew the "Nak" was a weak link, but this system pulls double duty as a HT rig. Have been looking at pre-amps and have read glowing praise for the BAT VK-3i in my price range (used). Does anyone have experience with this pre-amp in a similar system? Does it have a "HT" bypass like the SFL-1?
I have the BAT VK30SE and VK-500 w/BAT-PAK, just like Jeff. Fantastic products, but I don't think you need to drop that kind of change (around $6k used) if all you're looking to do is take the edge off a bright-sounding system. My recommendation is this: Buy some used Harmonic Technology Truth-Link interconnects. They impart a warmth to the sound that just might be exactly what you're looking for. If you buy used at a fair price, you can always turn around and sell them to get your money out if you decide it's not what you wanted. I've since upgraded to the Pro-Silway Mk II's, but the Truth-Link's have a definite warmth and richness to them. I've always thought they would be a great choice for a bright system. Good luck.