Coping in an Age of Uncertainty

there have been numerous threads here, i know, about sacd v. dvd-a, upsampling, oversampling, etc. a number of these threads have included discussions of which, if any, new digital format will replace what we now call “redbook” cd’s. i don’t wish to rehash these discussions. rather, i’d like to hear from others how they are coping with the “age of uncertainty” in the realm of digital audio. is it better to “roll the dice” and invest in sacd or dvd a? ignore the contenders for the new and get the best possible out of redbook cd’s? buy with upgradeability firmly in mind? follow another path? i don’t post this query out of mere curiosity. i really haven’t figured out what course i should follow. i’d appreciate your giving me a hand. -kelly
cornfedboy
Dear Chadnliz, I have a life ...but I will always make time for people with an exceptional understanding of audio. Judging by your command of the english language, I must admit to being intimidated! That being said however, what is your point? Sure I can be a pain in the ass and hard to pay attention to...not much different than trying to decipher your pointless remarks! What is the substance of your being "pained" by myself? Don't be jealous...my life isn't that fabulous...or is it?
Its like drinking booze (Bourbon for me, please). Vinyl is a small batch or single barrel brew for straight up sippin' - no distractions, just pure pleasure. Digital is for mixed drinks. So when I'm writing out the bills or surfing Audigon, its iTunes into a Benchmark DAC. When I want to turn off the world and listen to Miles, Trane, Satchmo, Gary Burton, hell, even vintage Heart or Led Zep, I drop a Shelter 901 in the groove, turn down the lights, and sip some of Kentucky's finest, straight up. SACD, DVD-A? Not until they can beat vinyl or are as generally accepted as ice cream in July.

Best to you, cornfedboy.
i almost plunged for sacd. but ultimatly went for upsampled redbook. bottom line ,ive got hundreds of cd;s and one double format sacd that sounds pretty darn good in 2 channel redbook format. if i were starting from scratch maybe. but i also kept my record collection when everyone was dumping theres, so who knowes what the future holds.