B&O, overpriced artistic piece of audio?

I have always had some sort of fascination to all things nifty and modern looking. Since 1982, before coming to this country, I was able to look into a B&O advertisement page in the NYTimes. Are B&Os a compromise sonically compared to my current system (Preamp SFL-2, Amp, Sonic Frontiers Power 2, speakers Gershman X-1 and Sw-1 subwoofers, Japanese DVD+Bel Canto DAC-1, Tuner MCintosh Mr-78)? Can I be enamoured just for the looks and this sense of nostalgia or should I simply say that B&O does conquer sonically? PAUL
bemopti123
Everybody is making the process of picking equipment sound so damned logical. Maybe it should be, but then again, maybe it shouldn't. Have any of you every done something just because it didn't make sense? Stop being so serious. It's possible that someone somewhere has a really good sounding B&O system that they are totally happy with. Maybe it will be Bemop. Is this really beyond the scope of your imagination?
Onhwy61 - the answer to your question is YES! In this case I bet Bemop would rapidly reduce his listening to music and therefore lose touch with his soul - much to big a risk to take IMO. Instead I would prescribe an upgrade to that front-end. All those attracted to the hype about DVD/Bel Canto should be aware that the good reviews are in the context of its price only.
Beomati123 no B&O system will sound as good as your present system. If music quality is your primary concern just keep on refining your system to your tastes. Yet, I can understand your unstated wish that B&O would sound as good as it looks. If it were only possible and true. It not even close. My primary music system is wonderful for serious music enjoyment and my HT system is great for movie sound emjoyment. They are both painstakenly selected for those purposes and I have invested many times more in time and money than a B&O system would cost. My B&O 4000 + Beolab 6000 + remote speakers system is for the master bedroom/bath, and home offices for radio, cassette, and CD background sound enjoyment. All my systems serve their purpose beyond any practical needs I have and they are all way over priced against items that could fill those pratical needs. Still, I have enjoyed the process of chosing what I wanted and the end results. So I admit my guilty pleasure is I ended up getting a B&O because it aestheically is beautifull and does fit my need. I have never had any quality problems with this B&O system in over three years. B&O's build quality is focused on aesthetic refinement of function, form, fit and finish as they have defined it. Your either like it enough to buy it or you don't. Bose market niche and product design execution is just different than B&O's. Have fun. Remmember it not collecting the toys that will make you happy, but how you are happy with your own decisions in living you life. Good luck and enjoy what ever choices you make.
Redkiwi, only those who have risked everything know the true pleasure of living.
In regards to b&o. At a dealer recently to look at power filters I was walking around the store to what lines they carried. The had a really big selection of B and O taking up a chunk of the main floor. I looked at a couple of price tags and asked "Do you sell much of this?" Yes lots, but none to 2 channel audiophiles was the reply. Enough said cheers steve