Price/performance curve

Hey you guys who've heard 'em all, could you help me understand the price/performance curve of audio equipment? I keep seeing people write about truly high-end gear and I'm wondering what the price points look like in terms of sonic improvement. So let's say that our scale is 0 to 100. 0 is basically white noise, 100 is you are sitting in the ideal spot at your favorite symphonic hall/jazz club/blues or rock forum and nobody in the audience is even breathing too loudly within audible range. For the sake of some reference point, let's say a decent boombox is about a 15, a decent set of components (say Sony/Pioneer/JVC electronics, Boston Acoustic speakers) chosen from your local mainstream audio outlet is a 30 and a decent set of entry-level components made by more musically inclined manufacturers (NAD, Paradigm, etc.) in the $1,500-2,000 range is a 50. What do the price points look like as you go to 60, 70, 80. 90 and 95+? I ask because I see people spending vastly different levels of money on this stuff and, while I don't expect to ever spend in the high five figures that some of us have doled out, I'd like to see where this road leads.Suggest alternatives on the scale if you like. I'll bet you all have some very interesting answers.
nichael7dd8
Interesting question. Assuming MRSP, the 85 to 90 percent level can be acheived for $6k to $8k. The value of moving up from this level is extremely subjective. Even if money is no object, most people do not go beyond this level. If you do decide to spend the big bucks, you can obtain definite improvements in sound quality. However, the room and equipment compatibility issues become much more critical as the price of a system goes up. The most obvious benefit of spending the big bucks will be deeper bass and higher volume levels. Your heart of your question is "How do people value their money?" To use an analogy, for $40,000 you can get an excellent car, but that doesn't stop people from spending two or three times as much for what they see as money well spent. Are they stupid? I don't think so, but not being stupid doesn't mean someone is smart.
Onhwy61- Your response is unclear. Are you stating that MRSP of 6-8K TOTAL SYSTEM is going to give you 85 to 90 percent of the best system available? I disagree with that assessment if that is your intent. Sdcampbell is closer to the mark and both the above comments concerning room accoustics are absolutely right on. This area along with many simple tweeks (example....turntable isolation for minimum vibration, overlooked by many but critical) can contribute a great deal to the improvement of the sound of a system MUCH GREATER than spending mucho more on a better component. I personally would hope that the improvement noted by spending 3X more would be greater resolution and accuracy, not bass and SPL's. Most rooms won't support bass accurately below 30hz. Accurate deep bass is very much room as well as speaker dependent.
I agree, room has a lot to do with it. If I had a less than adequate, large (also key), room for a Hi-Fi set up, you shouldn't spend more than $5000 for the entire system. Any money spent beyond that and the price/benefit, or "diminshing returns" level is acheived. In a great listing room the price/performance ratio becomes much higher, $75K or more. I have heard some great set-ups and some great equipment. Believe me, the best SET-UPS always beat the the best EQUIPMENT. With that in mind I will say the JOURNEY to audio nirvana is half the FUN!!! The other half is the MUSIC - enjoy! Tony
Tony, what were rooms like where you heard great sound? Floor size, ceiling height, etc. I would guess that a well asssembled $10-20,000 system will give you 90% sound of cost at no object system. Just look at the wide range of equipment prices in Stereophile class A equipment. Personally unless I made $100,000+ salary I wouldn't spend much more than $10,000 on a system, too many other things in life besides stereo equipment and this gets you very good system......I think many people are obsessed with stereo gear to the point of mental illness, be careful not to cross the line!......he he he, Sam
Tubegroover, sorry if I was unclear. My intent is that for a total outlay of $6 to $8 thousand, up to 90% of what is in the music can be uncovered. I'm something of a hypocrite here in that my main system is five times this price range. And, yes you do get more resolution, transparency, greater soundstage information etc. as you spend more money. But I contend that the uncovering of musical information increases at a slower rate than that of audiophile esoterica. Take a look at a "good" manufacturer's line of speakers. What does the $2,000 model not do that the $20,000 model does? For $2k+ you can get a hell of alot of midrange resolution and soundstage accuracy without significant tonal colorations. The more expensive model unsually goes louder and expands the frequency range of high resolution into the low bass and the high treble. Now the effect of extending the high resolution into the frequency extremes does have a very positive effect on midrange resolution. In my system my main speakers go down to a usable mid 30Hz. When I added stereo subwoofers, not only did I extend the absolute bass response, but I increased the midrange resolution. I not exactly sure why, but my observation is similar to others. Adding high quality bass is expensive. Is it worthwile? I say so, but there are other valid opinions.