CD direct to Amp/Current TAS issue ?

In the current issue of the Absolute Sound, the reviewers are asked to put together reccomended systems within certain price ranges (this is a great issue, BTW). One of the reccomended systems has an amp and CD player, but no preamp. The reviewer says something to the effect of "Because the CD player has an analog output level control, a preamp is not required and that money can be put into other areas of the system." Does this work with any CD player/Amp combination as long as the CD has an output level control? Is there any risk of damaging the amp or speakers by using this "no preamp" configuration? Other than being limited to only one input source, are there any drawbacks to going direct to amp? I appreciate any light you can shed on this subject, especially if any of you are actually running your systems in this configuration.
daddyo
I run my cd player directly into my amp. A cd player has to have a special set of VARIABLE outputs specifically designed to go directly into an amp. These CD players should have line level outputs for preamp use as well. If you try to connect your amp directly to line level (or non-VARIABLE) outputs you will probably blow up your speakers. Most CD player's these days output a strong enough signal that a preamp is generally lowering rather than increasing the output signal. I have heard some people state that the variable outputs are superior to using a preamp and vice versa. I found the variable outs sounded better in my system though this may have been a cheap cable issue. A nice advantage of using the CD player's variable outs is that I can use the CD remote for everything. Some CD players actually have digital input's so you can use them as a preamp in an all digital source system.
You need a CD Player that has analog outputs (most do) and includes volume control. I've got a Meridian 508.24 and, just out of curiosity, I tried to plug it directly into my amp. Just to be safe, I used the quietest CD track that I own (the opening of the Schneck/Chicago recording of Barber's Prayers of Kierkegaard), and the volume levels were extremely loud. Tolerable on the quiet section, but I didn't push it through any loud points, since this might have damaged the speakers, and it wasn't possible to decrease the volume. The sound was very clean, though, and I kind of wish I had bought the Wadia that I tried out(with digital volume control), instead of the Meridian. This is not to say that the Meridian is a bad CD player. In fact, it is probably the best part of my current set-up. I don't really use any other sources, though, so the Wadia would work great for me. Hey, if anyone is interested in trading a used Wadia 830i or an 850 for a Meridian 508.24 (with a little scratch to make up the difference with the 850), let me know ([email protected]).
Why do people make tube amps that sell for thousand of dollars? because it acts as a tone control. If you bypass the preamp, then the benefits of the pre are negated.