Am I deaf?

I've got three CD outfits here on loan from my dealer. A Linn Ikemi, a Bel Canto DAC 1 running off a Pioneer 525 DVD player and a Classe CDP. They all sound almost EXACTLY the same. After hours of switching cables, power cords and anything else I could think of, I did form a slight preference. And that was for the Pioneer DVD running straight into my amp! This freaked me out so much that I subjected my wife to the same test. She also preferred the DVD player. What in the hell is going here? Associated Equipment: Classe CAP 100 integrated amp, Sennheiser HD600 headphones, Von Schewikert VR3 speakers, Cardas and Kimber cables.
ruby
I beg to differ slightly Subaruguru. CD players usually have no particular trouble driving a passive, it is the output of the passive driving the amp that is the problem (if there is one). This means a ladder attenuator is best in the passive as it gives the best result for output impedence across the volume range (as opposed to a series attenuator which has an output impedence that varies with volume). But most importantly it means you need an amp that is easy to drive, short cables between passive and amp, and those same cables have to be very very good, else their electrical characteristics have a more than usual impact on the shape of the sound.
No you are not deaf. If they sound nearly the same, then go with the lowest cost/best value product. New equipment is not always the solutions. It your system sounds good to you -- enjoy it and stop worrying. However, if you insist upon obsessing, yes your amp is the "weak" link. However, any reasonable cost (under $1,500) change will not dramatically improve the sound of your system. The improvements will be subtle. Maybe they'll be musically important, maybe they won't. TRUST YOUR EARS.
WOW! Using a better pre-amp has made a fundamental difference is my system. I would have never guessed that a pre-amp could make such a dramatic improvement in sound. (Especially considering that the Classe integrated was rated Stereophile Class A.) I guess I'm not deaf after all. Thank you all so much for your advice.
In light of BuckFamily's comment about Stereophile Class A and multitudes of others on the net, in the print media, and on the street: I suggest we challenge Stereophile on several fronts: 1.) They are outrageously inconsistent in their methodologies of evaluation. Imagine telling your boss, or yourself if are the boss, that you changed your mind how you are going to do your work today and will likely change tomorrow and the next day but never mind when it comes to evaluation because that is the beauty of your job is always the best because you define how it is done day to day and when you evaluate me ask me how I defined myself day to day week to week etc. Why the heck does not 60-minutes have a hay day with this nonsense. 2.) Have reviewers post their hearing tests in a color graphic so we call can see what they can or can not hear. 3.) Provide information on warranties each and every time. Why the #$@% do they report it now and again? Audio Research has only 3 year warranties but their customer service is better than any life service plan around. So while warranties are not the end all for support they are a starting point. Lets make these companies accountable and the aging golden hears at the pubs. 4.) Why not use a color graphic to report subjective reportings when they are necessary (subjective reports, many things can not be quantified yet but lets use a consistent reporting schema that is quick and easy to grasp and makes the writer responsible to bridging the gap between reviews). 5.) This may all seem like I hate Stereophile. I don't. I am a multiyear subscriber. Just that things could be a whole lot better and more accountable. In the end the Class A Class B etc nonsense is just jello artsy talk until you can make linkages to other reviews that are consistent and easy to follow. Far to often a Class A recommendation is too easy to follow back to the advertizing budget of groups like Harmon Kardon (opps Madrigal) etc in Stereophile than the threads of logic between reviews. More on this when I have time!