Am I deaf?

I've got three CD outfits here on loan from my dealer. A Linn Ikemi, a Bel Canto DAC 1 running off a Pioneer 525 DVD player and a Classe CDP. They all sound almost EXACTLY the same. After hours of switching cables, power cords and anything else I could think of, I did form a slight preference. And that was for the Pioneer DVD running straight into my amp! This freaked me out so much that I subjected my wife to the same test. She also preferred the DVD player. What in the hell is going here? Associated Equipment: Classe CAP 100 integrated amp, Sennheiser HD600 headphones, Von Schewikert VR3 speakers, Cardas and Kimber cables.
ruby
I agree with most of what has been said here. If the Pioneer DV 525 sounded best then your system must be otherwise quite veiled and even muddy, because the DV 525 is quite bright. Some of this perhaps from the transport, which is very dynamic, but mainly from the DAC which is excruciating in a very revealing system. The good news is that your system sounds as if it could get WAY better! Try a Plinius 8150 against your Classe - preferably while feeding the Bel Canto from the Pioneer DV 525 - and you may be amazed.
So BUCKFAMILY what do you think about all this? What is your next step? just curious Thanks.
Thanks for all the advice. I'm popping a Sonic Frontiers Line 1 pre amp in my system this weekend. (I know everyone recommended passive but I really need something that can drive headphones too.) If that doesn't work I'm selling it all and getting a Bose Wave radio.
Hi BuckFamily; I bet you're going to hear a big improvement with the SF Line 1, but don't expect an overly warm, romantic, tubey sound. The SF Line 1 is pretty neutral. Let us know how it works out. Craig
Yup...junk the Classe. Wanna solve the problem on the cheap? I recommend the Audio Refinement Complete Integrated. Phenomenal 50w/ch SMOOTH piece. Their CD is mighty nice for the bucks, too. Both pieces are a LITTLE rolled off up top. Re: passive dynamics...it's all about whether your front end can drive your amp, isn't it? If there's insufficient drive there'll be less dynamic headroom. If there IS sufficient gusto the advantages are multifold.