Traps vs Equalizer

Am I missing something?
Why use traps when an equalizer can be used to fine tune the room
simone
Marco, You can make the painting analogy work with a bit of effort. The only thing you have to do is substitute the effect of light on a painting for the choice of playback equipment. First determine if the painting was made in a studio under natural light, incandescent light, flood ligh, spot light, flourscent light, flash light, candlelight, and the intensity of any of these, or if the painting was made outdoors in direct sunlight, partial shade, cloudy skys, flat light, and any other form of light you can think of. The painting is going to look different under each of these lighting conditions. All are color distortions - you must know what the artist used, or what light he expected you to use to view the painting to really get the picture. Absolutely critical to know these things! Thats why I hate going to museums, they never give you this information.

I wonder if our hairshirt audio friend is as dogmatic about his art appreciation as he is audio. :-)

Personally, I hang my hair shirt up when I got to bed. Its just too dammed itchy.
Marco, You can make the painting analogy work with a bit of effort.

Not unless the only objective of the painter is "photographic realism", which I find pretty boring in most (but not all) cases. Otherwise such knowledge as you suggest (about the conditions under which the painting was 'observed') has absolutely nothing to do with the appreciation of that painting. Nor would it really have much to do with your appreciation of photographic realisim except at the level of how well it succeeds at technique. Whether it moves you has nothing whatsoever to do with technique, or, at best precious little (IMHO).

Marco
The "Painter" metaphor just doesn't work for me because there is a difference between "art" and "craft". The sound
engineer is a craftsman (IMO of course)

Ah, then this is where we differ. In my experience, the audio engineer ends up an artist whether he wants to admit it or not. Making a record of audio events is like a group art project, with every person adding his or her own personal touch and style on it--whether or not they are claiming to try and avoid this.

You are correct, though, with your points on distortion. As sounds exist within the atmostphere, which is constantly changing, it is never really the same twice. So your points are quite valid. I should ammend myself to say "your hifi is a giant heap of distortion that passes on more distortion, some of it pleasing to the ear and some not; it's up to you whether or not you want to add what I consider to be superflous amounts of the displeasing stuff."

Now I see why we are posting!
I should ammend myself to say "your hifi is a
giant heap of distortion that passes on more distortion, some of it pleasing to
the ear and some not; it's up to you whether or not you want to add what I
consider to be superflous amounts of the displeasing stuff."

On that, I would have to agree completely my friend!

Marco

PS I don't suggest using any of this as a selling point for your next A'gon
classified ad!

Marco
Dirtyragamuffin...Ideally the room dimensions and shape and decorations can be designed as an ideal listening room. Rives audio provides info on how to do this.

Unfortunately most of us live in houses that serve other purposes than audio, and are already built. I cannot move the fireplace, raise the ceiling and eliminate the staircase and all the windows. Of course I tried all the tricks with speaker placement and room treatments, but measurements of room response clearly showed that the problems remained, however the results I have now achieved with an equalizer are excellent. I suggest that you hold your fire, which seems to be theoretical, until you have the oportunity to experience what active room correction can do.