Vinyl Reason

I am setting my first stereo system which consists of turntable, amp and speakers. I wonder why people make a decision to go vinyl. In my case I just wanted to revoke that something I had in past....to feel myself the way I felt 20 years ago when I was a teenager...to expirience that ritual of landing LP on a turntable disk, starting the motor, pulling tonearm...whatching it spinning...
But for many people it could be quite different reason. Is it maybe because the quality of vinyl sound is "different"?..just like tube amp sounds differently from SS...
sputniks
As someone in his 60's, I grew up collecting LP's, and have a lot of good memories associated with the old vinyl donuts. The ritual of playing LP's still appeals to me: cleaning the LP's, cleaning the stylus, lowering the tonearm in anticipation of the music and hustling to my easy chair before the music starts, the occasional tics and pops, etc. I also enjoy reading the jacket covers while listening to the album -- hell, I even enjoy the smell of old LP jackets! Pulling down an old LP that I've heard many times is like seeing an old friend after a long absence -- and I never get that feeling from the same recording on CD.

Ultimately, however, it's about the sound quality. A really good LP recording still sounds better than all but the very finest CD/SACD. Perhaps it's the additional work of preparing an LP for play -- it's said that we have more appreciation for something that requires personal effort. Admittedly, when I'm feeling lazy, I enjoy the convenience of CD's, but I also find that I tend not to concentrate so carefully to the music -- my mind wanders more...

But, like TWL and the "Smokester" say much more succinctly, "it's the sound" of LP's that keep drawing me back. I am planning to upgrade my VPI HW-19 Mk4 sometime in the next year (probably a Scoutmaster, or maybe a Super Scoutmaster if I'm feeling flush), and then grow old with my turntable...
Nsgarch, you bring up a very good point. In fact, I think most new "artists" these days dont make "albums" anymore, just a CD with a collection of songs on it. A properly produced album is much like a great live performance: each song is positioned to tell a story, or at least to keep you fully involved in the performance.
It's a great way to explore Classical music for those of us (me) that know little to nothing about it on the cheap. I can buy used near mint albums very near my home in great supply for only a couple bucks...how can you beat that!

I also buy older rock (harder to find in good shape) because most sound better on vinyl IMO...my last finds were Supertramp, Alan Parsons and Ted Nugent.

It's a great feeling walking out with 10 or so albums for $20...makes you feel like you struck a little gold.

I do enjoy cd just as much as vinyl and don't really have to much of an opinion on which sounds better...both sound good...and bad.

Dave
There is much on CD that is difficult to find on LP, or was never released on analog. For that reason, I own both formats (as well as open reel tape).

However, the reverse is also true for LP. Old pressings that were never released as CD, or CD remastering is poor (as mentioned above).

By now, everyone at Audiogon knows I prefer the sound of LP and buy that format whenever possible. Unfortunately some new (important) music is CD only ("Book of Secrets" Loreena McKinnitt and "Missouri Skies" Charlie Haden and Pat Metheny) making CD a "must have" format.

That being said, it is not a problem for a Jazz lover to build a huge library of LP's, some of which never made it to CD or the sound of the LP is vastly superior. Checking at EBAY, (just now) I find there are 14661 Jazz offerings as vinyl.

Anyone who loves music could build a library from that, even if only a small percentage suited their musical taste.