Nightmare selling to Canada

I didn't see 'site-related' as a choice so I'm using 'misc audio'.I feel bad for Canadians wanting to buy our gear. The weight limitation---66lbs--fedex or the PO--- Then unless you lie on the form they may have to pay huge fees.--(up to 35%)????I had a deal in progress; the buyer sent a Canadian MO.I took the bank check to the operations manager at my bank.--She tells me there could be a charge back to my account for a period of up tp 45days later.---I sent the bank check back; unless the buyer wanted to wait 45 days, before I ship the item.As I was returning this check--the postal lady says I could get cash for a Canadian Postal Money Order. --I'm surprised the buyer didn't know this.---After the fact; I now know this.---Sad but true
avguygeorge
When I send a money order to the U.S, it is from a Canadian bank. The bank has an association with an American bank and would indicate the American bank's name on the money order. This is common practice for major Canadian banks. I believe that under the American Uniform Commerical Code, in these circumstances, a money order from Canada is supposed to clear within 72 hours. If it doesn't, the problem is with the bank you took the money order to, not the money order. I am aware of a law suit going on right now where a Canadian bank is suing an American bank for violating this provision of the UCC, bouncing the money order to the detriment of their client after tehe date they were supposed to clear it.

Regarding shipping weight, if one company doesn't take packages above a certain weight, then others will.

In Canada, we pay taxes and brokerage fees on imported items. We may also pay customs duty. It depends on the country of manufacture of the item as to what the duty is, if any.

If a Canadian asks you to lie about the value of the item so that they can save taxes, they are asking you to commit a crime. Are you willing to pay a fine or go to jail if caught? It's your name and signature on the customs form with the incorrect information. The other person could simply deny they asked you to do it to save themselves. Not that what happens to them has any relevance to your guilt.

I've had people in the U.S. that I've purchased things from offer to lie about valuation in order to help me, without me even asking. I thank them but repsectfully decline and ask them to tell the truth on the customs form. Given who I am and what I do, I can't risk breaking the law. It would kill my job and career so I play it squeaky clean.
I agree with Jeff's comments above. I live in B.C. and pay 14% taxes on items arriving from the US. Fed Ex charges me $7.00 brokerage which is not a lot. Fed Ex Ground is about $15.00US. I tell anyone shipping to me not to us UPS. As Jeff stated above their fees are a rip off. Didn't know about the Canada Post money order. Good tip. I try to use Paypal for all me transactions. It's quick and speeds up the transaction considerably. I want it, and I want it now!!!!!!!The fee is negligible in the grand scheme of things. Customs delays have been an average of one day. I believe the money order charge back is standard no matter where you live. I don't think any bank would like to lose on a M/O transaction. Lately, I have been using Xpresspost service up here ,and, have been asking US shippers to use USPS Global methods. Shipments using these methods have arrived on schedule so far with no customs delays on either side.
BTW, PO or Fedex ground has this 66lb. limit to Canada. If you have a computer and an account at FEDEX you can use ground, for heavier items---webtv guy---no computer. There were several reasons I sent the Bank Check back. On the phone it sounded like this guy did MANY deals 'cross the border.---AND I think he should have known about Canadian Postal MO's. I asked him to click 'email-seller' from my add---so I could examine his feedback---he didn't want to--one warning flag. The other is I've read about charge backs from paypal (read about them here) Then of course the potential of a charge back on the check. (Read about that too;here)
My Bank is Wells Fargo. The operations manager is a very savvy babe. I'd have to be a fool to disregard her input--That's her field. Mom says life is a learning experience-----I'm learning;already!!
I just shipped a DAC to Canada through FedEx and it easy (except for the taxes the recipient had to pay!).
I have all my parcels from the USA to Canada shipped to Blaine, WA. just across the border from Vancouver and that way the freight costs are about 1/2 of what it would cost to ship direct to Vancouver, plus I don't have to deal with brokerage fee's, etc.
I usually go down every couple of weeks and pick up all my shipments and clear them through customs myself.
For larger shipments I always use Bax Global Air Freight, they
have very competetive rates and are perfect to ship big speakers, amp's, etc.