Nightmare selling to Canada

I didn't see 'site-related' as a choice so I'm using 'misc audio'.I feel bad for Canadians wanting to buy our gear. The weight limitation---66lbs--fedex or the PO--- Then unless you lie on the form they may have to pay huge fees.--(up to 35%)????I had a deal in progress; the buyer sent a Canadian MO.I took the bank check to the operations manager at my bank.--She tells me there could be a charge back to my account for a period of up tp 45days later.---I sent the bank check back; unless the buyer wanted to wait 45 days, before I ship the item.As I was returning this check--the postal lady says I could get cash for a Canadian Postal Money Order. --I'm surprised the buyer didn't know this.---After the fact; I now know this.---Sad but true
avguygeorge

I'm sorry to hear you ran into some problems selling over the border, being an experienced Canuck 'phile I have no problems receiving items from the U.S.

Weight limitations is something new to me, I've had 100lb + items shipped to me by Fed Ex and UPS. Maybe it's the physical size of the item that dictates having to go a non-standard route (the infamous Dimensional Weight)?

Payment is easy, I buy a Canada Post Money Order in U.S. Funds and mail it off, the buyer can cash it immediately. Either that or PayPal.

The good old government screws us something terrible when it comes to taxing stuff but it's certainly not 35%. Any product made in North America is considered duty-free under NAFTA rules, sales taxes still apply and usually amount to anywhere between 7% to 15% of the stated value of the item (depends what province you live in). Most of us Canucks object to paying the government tax on a used item bought from an private seller and will do our best to pay little or no tax by asking the seller to state a lower value on the shipment. Generally speaking there is no duties owed on gear unless it's built in Asia; either way the government isn't smart and/or diligent enough to figure out where product is built and apply duties accordingly, stuff just gets processed through and the receiver pays whatever tax he owes.

The only other gotcha is customs brokerage fees paid by the receiver. UPS Ground will charge me upwards of $100 to process the paperwork when the item arrives in Canada, Postal Service charges a flat $5 fee, Fed Ex and UPS Air shipments are processed free (you are already paying a premium for the quick service). Your mileage does vary. In summary, selling to Canada isn't hard at all, just a few very minor twists to take into account. If anyone has any questions or problems doing business with us Canucks please feel free to get in touch at any time. Best, Jeff
I general, I must concur with Hack about purchasing used audio items from the U.S. Postal money orders and PayPal make payment simple and easy, but the 15% sales tax which we don't have to pay for purchases within Canada does leave us all with a sour taste in our mouths. I've had lots of large components (JBL and Tannoy studio monitors with 12" and 15" drivers) shipped from the U.S., mostly without any problems. Except for such large and heavy items, I prefer USPS Airmail for most purchases, as it avoids UPS's high customs brokerage fees (as Hack notes), plus I can pick up my packages at my local post office, rather than have to coordinate receiving packages at UPS's convenience.

Having said all that, my best deals have all been local or within-Canada purchases, but the reverse may be true for American buyers.

Happy listening all!
It works the same way in the other direction as well. I was told by my bank last year that since 9/11, US Bank money orders take some 30 days to officially clear up in Canada.

This harsh dose of today's reality doesn't particularly bother me as I still prefer to take a money order from a US buyer over Paypal.
When I send a money order to the U.S, it is from a Canadian bank. The bank has an association with an American bank and would indicate the American bank's name on the money order. This is common practice for major Canadian banks. I believe that under the American Uniform Commerical Code, in these circumstances, a money order from Canada is supposed to clear within 72 hours. If it doesn't, the problem is with the bank you took the money order to, not the money order. I am aware of a law suit going on right now where a Canadian bank is suing an American bank for violating this provision of the UCC, bouncing the money order to the detriment of their client after tehe date they were supposed to clear it.

Regarding shipping weight, if one company doesn't take packages above a certain weight, then others will.

In Canada, we pay taxes and brokerage fees on imported items. We may also pay customs duty. It depends on the country of manufacture of the item as to what the duty is, if any.

If a Canadian asks you to lie about the value of the item so that they can save taxes, they are asking you to commit a crime. Are you willing to pay a fine or go to jail if caught? It's your name and signature on the customs form with the incorrect information. The other person could simply deny they asked you to do it to save themselves. Not that what happens to them has any relevance to your guilt.

I've had people in the U.S. that I've purchased things from offer to lie about valuation in order to help me, without me even asking. I thank them but repsectfully decline and ask them to tell the truth on the customs form. Given who I am and what I do, I can't risk breaking the law. It would kill my job and career so I play it squeaky clean.