Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Actually, I have written liner notes for a handful of recordings; but, not for records discussed here, nor are they in this genre.

What I find most frustrating about discussion of music in audiophile circles is that, more times than not, the subjects are discussed at a very superficial level; reliance on liner notes as the "end-all". This stuff, it's history and it's truly proper place in the larger scheme of the art world, runs very very deep. But, there really is very little mystery. It's all pretty well documented; we just have to be willing to do more than cursory reading, and dig a little deeper. It's kind of like audiophiles talking about accuracy in music reproduction when they never go hear live music. Huh?

I don't like to, nor feel the need to, "kick my credentials" (to use your phrase); nor even feel the need to rely on "credentials". But, if you must know, my humble credentials are simply being a professional musician for my entire working life (35 years), attending music conservatory and studying jazz music history (among many other subjects; of course), playing in Latin bands for many years before moving to a totally different genre and segment of the music industry. The education that I got playing with and listening to these Latin players, especially the old-timers, was invaluable. I played in Mario Bauza's last band in the mid-eighties, which coincided with my transitioning away from Latin music performance, and more into the classical music arena. It was there that, ironically, I had the opportunity to work with Paquito D'Rivera and premiered a couple of his classical chamber works.

I will stop before I feel the need to delete this.
Well, your 'credentials' are very impressive indeed. You should 'kick' them more often. For now on, I will know from where you speak. So now, we have you on music and almarg on the techie stuff. It's good to have real sources on this site.

I, on the other hand, am still left with my personal preferences in music. And my determination to stand up for what I feel is truth. I withdraw all the historical blunders I may have made. Just one thing in closing, the great Jazz Violinist, Stephane Grappelli, while being interviewed about his career, said that he thought he had made a contribution through his playing, but that he never forgot that, it(Jazz), was a Black Art Form. And that was my only point during the entire 'discussion'.

I am glad to know we have a source (goto guy), for music now. Thanks for the post.

Cheers
Frogman:

BTW, I read liner notes after I buy. I don't rely on them to make a purchase. I just like to read details of the recording and the artist. I used to do that with LPs. Liner notes and album art have caused me to buy many LPs. But they only cost $2.50 at that time. That Nat Hentoff has gotten many a dollar out of me.

Cheers