Anyone pay 1st price, Even if it's fair ? Poll

As I peruse the ads all too much on Audiogon, I have flat out come to the conclusion, I am better off listing something higher than what it value is, than to list a fair price and list it as a firm price. All too often firm prices get views not offers.

It seems everyone wants to get a deal. I know the very term "fair" will spark some controversy, since the term alone is very subjective.

I'd like to know how others view this. Do you pay a fair price when it is fair to you, or do you still try to get a few bucks off?
Do you list higher than fair,knowing you will be asked to go to your lowere (fair) price?
Just curious,
Tom
carmantom
O.B.O.- Another point to consider
O.B.O. Is another fine example of this discussion. I have on occasion considered saying in my listing for a popular item, something like this, "In this case I mean O.B.O. to mean the final price will be my asking price or the best offer above it.
I've never done this but I have considered it for a super hot item, especially if I'm not sure of the value.

Who knows????
In that case auction is probably the best venue for that kind of item.
Tom
Probably half the items I have sold have been at my asking price, while the others were still in my low range estimate. I try to list them at a price which I think reflects their value. Some items have sold really quickly & I wonder if I listed them to low. I rather think ...there aren't many of them & so someone was just waiting.

A few items (mainstream items) seem to bring out the low-ballers ....when I sold my B&W center channel. It was fairly priced & I received several offers, but the first 3 buyers were all flakes. I also had a bit of difficulty selling my cd player this summer. I don't think I would sell an expensive item during the summer again. One potential buyer kept on trying to telling how cd players were doomed and why his price was good. I decided not to sell it to him (constant emails) & just waited it out.

When buying items, I pass over items that are unreasonably listed. If the discount is not significant from a dealer why bother. I think all of my purchases have been within 10% of asking (net dollars). I also won't pay PayPal fees (nor do I charge them). Its matter of principal (the agreement w/ PayPal states that fees cannot be passed on to the buyer). I also stay clear of adds saying "low baller will be cheerfully ignored, etc.". Its just rude. I think they can find a better way to word an ad.

I pay the asking price when I want something now! If I want to play and the add says obo, then I'll make a reasonable offer very close to the asking price or just ask for shipping included at asking price to make the payment calc quick and easy. If the asking price is out of line of what the item sells for typically on audiogon based on condition and feedback level, I won't even bother making an offer. In 30days and the second listing the buyer will drop their price closer to typical asking or they won't sell it unless someone WANTS it and the choise is dealer or high used.

Carmantom: that obo you were talking about has happended to me a couple of times and it really annoys me.
If you want to post an auction post an auction, I have dealt with a couple of people that have done that "what is your offer over my listing?" I told him I would pay his asking and shipping and he said I had to offer more? More than what? (he wouldn't say) so I just moved on. Life it too short to play games.

So we could create a new checkbox these people aren't brave enough for an auction or afraid to ask what they really want (Because they overvalue what they have)
we have

1)Fixed
2)OBO (Or Best offer)
3)BOO (Best Offer Over)
I've paid asking price 75% of the time, mostly when I'm in early and know that I want it. If something gets few views or has lingered for over a week, I'll make an offer. I've been surprised many times, though, when sales are pending on seemingly abject pieces that haven't gotten many views or are overpriced.
As a buyer I will gladly pull the trigger and pay asking price for an item I feel is worth it.

As a seller I price my items with a little "wiggle room" built in.

My ads always say: "lowballers cheerfully ignored".
If that gets the goat of others, they must see a reflection of themselves. Recently the amount of tire-kickers and lowballers here has reached a fairly good level. I'm happy to play email and phone tag with a serious buyers, but not for time-wasters.

My feedback here reflects how I have done business.

Caveat Emptor!

Best,

Paul :-)