Why even bother?

I have some general questions.
How any audiophile could be serious about having tuner in his of her system?
The FM signal is so compressed that sound is way far inferior to the sound from any records, CD and even tape.
Why some hi-end companies are still produce them?
I haven't seen any discussions regarding this matter.
What is your opinion?
Thanks.
misterl
mister1, you say:

"...There is no way FM signal can camper to CD or record in the quality of sound. Even a strong FM signal contains distortions. This are just rules of Physics..."

i say: you are simply mistaken. i have a hi-end system. retail walue ~$50k (tho i paid far less, ~20% on the dollar, by being a prudent shopper, buying mainly used or close-out.) it's a true full-range system, & extremely revealing. the sound i get from a quality fm station *easily* rivals that of my digital & analog sources. EASILY. i spend a *lot* of my prime listening time listening to fm in the "sweet spot." don't knock what you don't know. sorry you haven't had the pleasure of experiencing it.

then you say:
"...Sum of hi-end tuners cost $2000-$6000. Why bother to pay for them and not to invest in to speakers, CD player or amplifier instead? This is my point..."

i say: yust like anything else, you can overpay for a product. i presently own six tuners that cost $200 or less, & i'd put *any* of 'em up against the magnum dynalab md-108, marantz 10b, day-sequerra reference, linn kremlin, naim nat-01, you name it. their sonics & reception capability are outstanding. my best-sounding tuna cost me $75, after i spent $300 on mods for it. i can only imagine how good the other six could sound if i spent money on mods for those. (i'm seriously considering mods for three of them. one cost me $26, one $175, the other $200.) if someone wants to spend big bucks on a fancy md108 or sequerra, then *let* 'em. in a good rig, w/a quality signal, they will get outstanding sound. even if they insist on using $350k amps that measure poorly... ;~)

regards,

doug s.
this has been a great discussion. Misterl, I don't think an apology is necessary . . . provocative statements are often the best way. I learned a lot from most of the posts.
Mostly I bother because you are quite incorrect when you state that all stations broadcast compressed format. Simply not true. Especially the good stations that broadcast jazz and classical. And even a couple of classic rock stations (although that format is being rapidly eaten up with the mega-station ownership). And excellent quality/performing tuners (mostly vintagge) are inexpensive and provide great listening. Try one with a good antenna and you will be in for a treat. Read all about tuners/antennas/mods/stations, etc. here http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/index.html. Gaurantee that you will be pleasantly surprised.
My humble hotel room setup is sounding real smooth & pleasant after the ONEAC filter has been on for 24 hrs. Listening to Dominican hardcore, old-school merengue & Colombian salsa. FM can be great to keep up to speed and enjoy--they're transmitting live from a club named Cocobongo's, on Orange Blossom Trail in Orlando. Got to go there next Saturday--WOW...and I haven't yet seen the *mamis*...

Sedond would be *shocked* if I'd bring my Modwright modded belt drive transport (and associated vibration gear, power cord & VenHaus Pulsar digital cable) and one of my T4 filters. He'd weep...and try to get an even better tuner!

Now they're playing Bachata music in Cocobongo's. The DJ's actually mixing the songs--not easy with Bachata's beat. I got to go to that club. Perhaps I should post pictures here...