Sound is too thin. What to upgrade, add or remove?

Need your advise - please have a look at my system below (click on the system link). Just in the past couple of months or so it seems, my setup started to sound way too thin in my ears. It feels as though the bottom-end is just not enough anymore. But I as you can see from the pictures, I try to stay on the minimulist side of things. The aesthetics are very important as well (WAF). I can't really have too much exposed gear (WAF). What can I do to boost the overall sonics of this system without adding a sub? How much more can a power conditioner add? What about replacing the power tubes, IC's and adding a DAC? or should I switch to a different amp - like a Gamut (SS) 200/wcp? What other push-pull (100 wpc or more) quality tube amps are out there? My budget is $2K - $3K plus the value of current amp if I were to swap it out.

I really appreciate your comments. Thank you.

Jewel
128x128jewel_hasan
Jewel:
You mentioned that your system sounds thin in the last months. Your virtual system is dated 06-04. So comes to mind having a little evolution /time / history of your rig.
Have you made any changes to the system in this time span?
Added new furniture?
How sturdy is that nice credenza? Would you rate it as "ringing" using the knuckle test?
Wood is a very interesting material that depending on construction might change properties with weather i.e. wood is affected with humidity and temperature....How long have you had your system placed on this nice furniture piece?
How about power related factors? It´s hot now and A/C use goes up in the summer right? A little food for thought from "out of the box"
Any luck with different supports under your components?
Your comments please
Luis
ok folks - the sound did improve but not by huge margins. The imaging was certainly more defined, and the overall sound felt less chocked. BTW, I also liked this somewhat more near-field listening position as the speakers were now pulled forward by 2-feet. Unfortunately I ran out of testing and listening time, we had guests over!! I will continue to refine this setup based on all your suggestions. I'll separate the preamp, remove the PS outlets etc. I may also put a layer of padding under the rug.

Sol322, to anwer your questions -- i've had this setup for well over a year; and no, i did not add and/or remove any furniture etc. what i think has been happening is, i've started to go to more live acts in smaller settings lately.

I just wanted say, I'm quite moved by show-of-force - thanks :-)
I think the speakers might still be too far apart. I'm not sure how if bringing them together more will affect the sound though.

Good luck
Jewel
Very nice set up !. I love the Supratek Pre -
You have a lot of great suggestions so far – here are mine
Get your wife to listen to the changes as the sound improves – let her hear the before and after. It was surprising to see how much more interested my wife became after getting involved in the process - she also became more open to changes I wanted to make.
Continue to work with the speaker placement and some low cost room treatments first.
Definitely get the main components separated and on their own platforms. Zoethecus make a great piece for their stands called a “Z-slab”. You can find them used on Audiogon for around $ 100.00 - $ 125.00. They should make huge difference when put under your CD player and Supratek. Get one and move it around under different components and see what results you get. If you are not happy, you can easily re-sell the Z-slab and get all of you money back out.
Put Symposium Rollerblocks (or other coupling devices, but Rollerblocks are far and away my favorite) between the platform and the component. This will be another significant improvement.
Power Cord - BMI Sharks can be picked up on Audiogon for $ 200.00 - $ 250.00 (there is a 5 footer up for sale right now for $ 235.00 OBO). Get one and try it first on the Amp and then on your CD player - If it gives you the results I think it will yield, you can buy more and improve the sound further. This cable can really punch up the bass and give you more detail without glare or brightness. This is a great power cord for the money. I went through 6 or more and the BMI Shark and it descendants were the best sounding by farm. Two years ago they were selling for $ 800 – 1,200.00 (new). Great Value !
Consider getting a used line conditioner , Hydra or BMI – IPLC and replace your outlets with Albert Porter’s Cryoed receptacles or other high quality Cryoed outlet. Dedicated lines would be great but a good bit more costly.
Feel free to email me directly and I can explain a bit more in detail
Larry
Very smart Larry!

A very sneaky and elegant way to get the little lady to "see" why you're always upgrading and why we love audio in the first place.

Now if any wives or girlfriends read this, they'll to try get us to try on a few designer dresses the next time we go shopping with them.