best sounding integrated for under 2500.00

just getting back into audio. want this to be my last purchase. like smooth warm sounding equipment as i listen to alot of metal and rock from the 80s. this can sound harsh on alot of equipment. been researching for months and im getting more confused by the minute. i thought creek destiny or krell 300 might do the trick. any other suggestions. powering psb stratus golds.
vikingnick
No. I have heard tube amps with speakers not appropriate for
tubes and then the same amp with speakers that are and the
amps always sounded best (and the speakers as well) when
properly matched to the speaker. As wonderful as the Cary
may be, it remains a tube amp, and the PSB a speaker that
performs best with high current amps, SS for the most part,
though I am pretty sure a CAT JL2 would drive the PSBs very
well indeed (a high powered, Class A, 200lbs tube amp with
three massive transformers each weigh as much as the whole
SLI - yes a tube amp like that would be undaunted by most
speaker loads - the SLI is not that type of tube amp).

As for the importance of matching amps to speakers,try
listening to B&W 802D with the Cary, then
lets say a pair of Merlin VSMS with the Cary - your
impressions will be quite different, the CARY will sound
like a much better amp with the Merlins. Then try the B&W
with a McIntosh 200 watt SS amp, your view of the B&W is
considerably better than you first thought - even if you
thought it sounding quite good with the Cary - till you hear
with the SS Mac - almost a different speaker, for the
better, driven with the MAC. The Merlin will sound great
with both, but it will clearly show the superiority of tubes
with speakers that are meant to be driven by tubes.
pubul57 what integrated do you think i should go for as you seem to know my psb stratus gold needs. my listening room is small but the psb seems to need power. i love a wide soundstage and cant stand the harshness of overbearing highs.
On reputation alone, I think the Plinius is likely to be a good way to go. The Portal Panache is another good candidate, I do think Nelson Pass designed the circuit, and nothing he designs sounds anything but good. Basically any integrated SS with 100 watts or more should up for consideration. What I would not do is go tubes with those speakers, and I only have used tubes with a few forays into Pass SS, so it is not that I am an SS guy, but if I loved the PSBs, and many do, I do think you have to go the SS route to make them sing and give you the bass they are capable of. The Ayre mentioned is great, but not enough power for those speaker at loud levels IMHO. Same with the NAIM mentioned, great amp, but you need some juice for those speakers.
pubul57 what integrated do you think i should go for as you seem to know my psb stratus gold needs. my listening room is small but the psb seems to need power. i love a wide soundstage and cant stand the harshness of overbearing highs.
The Portal is a really nice amp. I has at one time considered one, but for me no remote was a deal breaker. Also and you didn't mention if its important but it also does not have a phono stage.