And we strive for..... what ?

Dear friends,

We buy equipment, audition speakers, change cables, tune rooms, move speakers 2in right, than 1.5in left. We argue, dispute, shout at each other, give help and receive more.

We spend hours, days and more searching for the 'better'.

We praise performers, groups, orchestras - and bury them.

We have one aim : to listen to music as close as the 'original'.

For music heals our wounds, cheers us up, lets us forget day-to day troubles.

Now I find this, re-defining the meaning of 'original' :

http://www.globetechnology.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20030825.gtsinging/BNStory/Technology/

I just lost my faith... I must be getting old.

Sorry for the rant.
ikarus
Thanx for the link - I have to admit that my preferred state of ignorance concerning the current 'music scene' had included the existence of these specific devices, though I always knew there was a lot of electronic manipulation going on, 'cause you can hear it. As for the 'live' performances of someone like a Britney (who can't sing to save her life), I just assumed they were getting a lot of help from taped 'backing' tracks, in addition to digital 'enhancements' like harmonizers and harmonic overtone generators.

As to the appropriateness of their usage, when music is mostly synthetic and/or sampled anyway, and songwriting means so little compared to video-worthiness, media hype, and concerts that take Vegas as their model, well, why not?

BTW, I got a kick out of the article quoting Brendan McGuire and crediting him as producing several LP's by the Canadian pop-rock band Sloan (he said he disfavors the use of autotuners). Sloan are one of the most talented bands around, with all four members contributing both lead and backing vocals, songwriting, and they even swap instruments around in concert. But despite their welcome penchant for harmonized backing vocals shared by few bands of their generation, none of them actually has what you'd describe as a great lead singing voice, and listening to any of their records, which can be fairly polished yet engagingly off-the-cuff at the same time, it's easy to believe McGuire's claim - ragged, but usually right.
Disc:

Interesting info on Zappa and the original "Syn".

It was the most interesting musical toy that I have experienced (the operator needed to be an artist/musician to pull it off).
Well, I wasn't aware that these devices even existed. I see it as cheating - in the rank of 'performance enhancers - doping' in sports.

I'm not sure what my musical tastes have to do with it, but, here it is : heavily classical and jazz, some ethnic - no, no rap and very little pop.
What will we have next; a six year old playing a harmonica that is electrically altered to sound like a symphony?

Thanks Ikarus.
I have seen Santana, Clapton and Stevie Ray hit bad notes and it was just as beautiful to hear them recover from them and make something out of nothing. Granted, these artist are the best in the world and they can turn a blemish into a masterful stroke. Not everyone can. This makes me wonder what is real and what is Memorex.

By the way, do people actually go and see Britney Spears to hear her sing?