Do you rember your first?

I went over to Peter Edward's house, after school one day. He puts on a record by Simon and Garfunkel, called Sounds of Silence. Anybody ever hear of them,? Anyway, he puts, the song I am a Rock on and I'm blown away at what I'm hearing from his dad's Fisher reciever, Empire turntable(that was state of the art, at the time) and AR 3a Speakers. The bass was freaking me out. He played more and more and then let me groove with his dad's headphones. Whoa! This was big time for this 9th grader. I was hooked. After saving, and saving, (my parents didn't have the money, although, I believe they helped me a little) I bought my first hi end system. You've got to remember, this was a time I was listening to a Victrola, and my Mom's Zeneith reined supreme. I purchased a Lafayette receiver, Garrad turntable and the AR 4xs. I bought the Simon and Garfunkel album that Pete played for me, and I was in heaven. The rest is history. Thanks Pete.
128x128warrenh
First component I bought was a Fisher CR-4013 (?) dual-speed cassette deck. Before that I'd owned various suitcase portables.

First time I was blown away by sound quality was a pair of AR 9s I heard at a store in the mall. I don't remember what was upstream from them.
"Warrenh":

Do I remember my first hi-fi audio system??? I sure do. Like it was yesterday. And that will be 20 years ago this year.

After starting out with a Sears AM/FM Stereo Receiver/8-Track Player/Recorder back in 1978 (with a separate BSR Record Changer to come a year later), I bought a Polk Audio Monitor 4 Bookshelf Speaker System in the Spring of 1983. I was a freshman in college that very same year. Christmas Day of that VERY same year, I received a JVC R-30 Stereo Receiver as a Christmas present. What followed after that was a Luxman K-220 Stereo Cassette Deck back in 1984, and then an NAD 5225 Compact Disc Player in the Summer of 1985, and was finished off with Monster Cable cables back in 1986. And in the course of the last 20 years, that system.... thanks to another system that was in between that one and the one I have now has transformed into the one I have now (which today, is a KEF/Adcom/Magnum Dynalab/Pioneer Elite/Nakamichi/MIT system). Oh..... and might I add, Michael Jackson had the top selling album that same year (Thriller), and surely, that was a "MUST HAVE" back in 1983, and as bad as I hate to admit it now, it was a great album to demo a system with back then.

My first hi-fi was decent for what it was back then, but I tell what, the system I have now will beat the living shit out of the system I had back in 1983. Well..... so much for progress and all. But man..... those were some great memories. What I wouldn't do to be a teenager all over again.

WOW!!!!!!

--Charles--
Hey guys. I appreciate your recollections. I can relate to many of them. Thanks for your feedback. peace, warren

P.S. don't let me stop you!
My story is very similiar. The year is 1969 and I'm at some hippie freak's apartment who after "refreshments" plays some Iron Butterfly, Ultimate Spinach, and Jethro Tull albums. I could not believe that those AR-4x speakers transported me into another musical dimension!!! I felt I could actually crawl into the music with the lights off. A few months later I was the proud owner of a Lafayette receiver, Garrard turntable, and KLH 22's.

Three years later it was a Dynaco intergrated amp and tuner, AR turntable, and large Advents. And the story goes on and on and on and......
1970: Senior year in High School.
Approximate Cost: $185 (remember these are 1970 dollars)

I acquired this system while in high school from money earned in a summer job.

1. Receiver: Lloyds. Nicely made unit. All metal construction, real wood/walnut veneer case, smooth fly-wheel tuning. Cost about $80 at Bradlees in Fall River, MA

2. Speakers: 6" 1-way speakers that came with the Lloyds receiver. real wood/walnut veneer cabinets.

3. Turntable: Garrard with ceramic cartridge. Has a cueing control. Cost about $30.

4. Tape: Bell+Howell (mfg. by Philips in Austria). Stereo Cassette with built-in amplifier and speakers. Nicely made with wood/walnut veener case and plastic dust cover. About $75 (original price $150).