Do you rember your first?

I went over to Peter Edward's house, after school one day. He puts on a record by Simon and Garfunkel, called Sounds of Silence. Anybody ever hear of them,? Anyway, he puts, the song I am a Rock on and I'm blown away at what I'm hearing from his dad's Fisher reciever, Empire turntable(that was state of the art, at the time) and AR 3a Speakers. The bass was freaking me out. He played more and more and then let me groove with his dad's headphones. Whoa! This was big time for this 9th grader. I was hooked. After saving, and saving, (my parents didn't have the money, although, I believe they helped me a little) I bought my first hi end system. You've got to remember, this was a time I was listening to a Victrola, and my Mom's Zeneith reined supreme. I purchased a Lafayette receiver, Garrad turntable and the AR 4xs. I bought the Simon and Garfunkel album that Pete played for me, and I was in heaven. The rest is history. Thanks Pete.
128x128warrenh
I don't remember any of the componants, but I do remember the music sounding a heck of a lot better than my little radio.
The first thing I bought was a Readers Digest all in one turntable, reciever, cassette. I was hooked. It didn't sound as good as Wayne's system but I had lots of money left over to buy LPs! I still have some of them.
Early 70s. Dual 1219 (used), Shure M91ED, (later Stanton 681EE, ACD-XLM cartridges in Technics SL-1100 table), Sansui AU-999 integrated (used), home built Altec horns system with newly released 15" 411 woofers in sealed enclosures. All this in an average size bedroom. Could open the windows while playing an album and hear it across most of the block. Big hit with friends, less so with adult neighbors. Great memories!

1975. JVC integrated amp and manual belt drive tt. Zip cord to Infinity Qb speakers, (the first with the MIT tweeter.) Bought it using Fleetwood Mack's "Rumors" to demo with.
Ah, those were the good old days. Brings back a lot of good memories for me. Thanks for posting this thread Warren.

My first component system was purchased for me by my Father as a gift when i was 12 years old. It consisted of a Sony STR-1800 receiver, a Technics SL-23 turntable with an Audio Technica AT-12XE cartridge and a pair of Bose 301's. I think he did this because he knew i was using his system ( on the sly ) and i don't think that he really dug that too much. Giving me my own system got me out of his hair and let me mess with my own "rig".

I had been reading my Father's copies of Audio, Stereo Review, High Fidelity and IAR for at least two years prior to me having my own system. Since he didn't buy them, i used to go out and buy the "Complete Buyer's Guide's" that used to come out frequently. I loved reading about all of the various gear and wanted to learn as much as i could. Not only did i like looking at all of the pictures, i used to sit down and write out my "ultimate stereo system" lists quite frequently using these "buyers guides". thinking back, it's kind of funny how tastes change over time, isn't it ??? : )

Now that i had the basics covered courtesy of my Father, i simply needed to get a bigger "fix". Shortly thereafter, i started buying my own gear. It wasn't too soon after this point that, yes, you guessed it, my Father had to keep yelling at me to turn it down. With me constantly playing my stereo, i was now interfering with his personal listening time. I'm sure that he questioned himself many times over and probably began to regret getting me started on the "pathway to audio nirvana" : )

By the time i was 15, salesmen at the local Musicraft, Pacific Stereo, Playback, Schaack Electronics, etc... all new me by name. I can remember on more than one occassion helping customers in those stores and responding to questions for them that the salesmen simply didn't know the answers to. There were even a few times that salesmen had to come and ask me about models that they didn't carry or know about. As you might have guessed, i spent a lot of time in some of these shops. My Grandmother lived within walking distance of a Musicraft and a Pacific Stereo, so that is where they knew to find me if i had disappeared.

I remember picking out some of the components that went into my Grandfather's system during that time period. Later on, i remember my Dad telling me that the best parts of Gramps' system were the components that i had picked out. Not only was i proud of that, but i knew he was right : ) If it was up to Gramp's, he would have stuck with his quadraphonic Pioneer receiver and Pioneer Reverb unit feeding the rears. YUCK !!!!

As such, some things never change. I still love to help by answering questions and like it "loud" ( most of the time ). One thing has changed though. Rather than my Dad buying me gear, i'm now returning the favour that he did for me. I've slowly been working on upgrading his system over the last few years for him and it's coming along slowly. I've got most of the gear that i want to set him up with, it's just a matter of getting it over there and dialing it all in.

There is one thing though. At least now he can listen when he wants to without me trying to compete in the next room : ) Sean
>
Shoot Sean, Pacific Stereo, reminds me of when I lived in Costa Mesa before moving to Vermont. Do you happen to remember a speaker called the Quadraflex from that era? I use to like to listen to the Ohms at Fedco, a kind of predessor to the big warehouse stores now. Also use to go to a great 2nd hand stereo store called recycled stereo on Newport Blvd.