Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
O-10:
I am glad you started this thread. My collection runs from Adams, Pepper to Young, Lester. So I will have to give it some thought. Of course I think they are all 'must have'

I did listen to the MOANIN" cd tonight. We tend to remember the 'hits' from these CDs and tend to not remember the other tunes, or the inner work going on within the 'hits'. 'Sidewinder' and 'Song for my Father', are other examples. The soloing on Moanin' by Morgan and Timmons is just awesome! Those are the details we tend to forget. Morgan is one of my favorite trumpet players. I love the way he bends notes. My next favorite was Blues Walk.

Will submit my 'Must Haves' later.

Cheers
So many. Off the top of my head:

Oliver Nelson,"Blues And The Abstract Truth"
Eric Dolphy, "Out To Lunch"
Sarah Vaughn, "Live In Japan"
Clifford Brown, "With Strings"
John Coltrane, "Ballads"
Nancy Wilson, "With Cannonball Adderly"
Wayne Shorter, "Speak No Evil"
Shirley Horne, "Here's To Life"
Sonny Rollins, "Way Out West"
Joe Henderson, "Inner Urge"
Benny Goodman, "Sextet"
Cannonball Adderley, "With The Bossa Rio Sextet"
Miles, "Birth Of The Cool"

Gotta get to bed.
Now enjoying every and every tune of Espie Spalding. FINALLY true maestro gets Grammy!
Along the way I'm into fusion and free jazz:
Carla Bley, BrandX, Percy Jones, Bill Frisell, Fred Frith, David Torn, Pekka Pohjola, John McLaughlin, Trilok Gurtu...
Being the Gentleman that I am, ladies First.

Billie Holiday -- Songs for Distingue Lovers
Harry 'sweets' Edison / Ben Webster
Her voice is beginning to go. BUT, Billie on her worst day is better than 99% on their best day. I visualize her looking me right in eyes as she forms the words. Moonlight in Vermont. WOW!

Sarah Vaughan -- How Long has this Been Going on
Oscar Peterson quartet (louie bellson)
She just puts on a display of what she can do with her voice, which is anything she wants to. I like the title track most. Member of the Top Three. More mellow / laid back than Ella.

Ella Fitzgerald -- A Perfect Match
Count Basie Orch
I love it when she says 'thank you, thank you, between numbers. She sounds just like a little girl. I just don't have the words to do her justice. If you don't smile when she is singing, you have a problem. The perfect voice. And she loves to sing!

Dee Dee Bridgewater -- Love and Peace
Horace Silver / Jimmy Smith
This is what you call a Tour de Force. Brilliant Jazz vocals to go with brilliant Jazz music! What they call cooking or smoking Jazz.

Listening to all this wonderful music leaves me sort of sad. We will never see / hear the likes of them again.

Cheers

4 down, 996 to go. just kidding hahahah