Grado SR-225 or Sennheiser HD580?

Both are available for about $149. I'd appreciate any views on the respective merits of these 'phones.

Also, does anyone think it's worth it to spend an extra $80-100 and get the Senn HD600?

Thanks.
kdl6769
If you want to read more opinions, suggest you go to headfi.org or headwize.com and search their forums. My personal vote is for Grado. I use the "comfy pads" on my SR 80 and RS-2's, which come with the SR60 but can be purchased separately and I actually find them as comfortable if not more than the Sennheisers. The Grado's are much easier to drive. The only time I have heard Sennheisers sound better is thru a tube amp like the Earmax. The Grado's will sound good with a solid state amp and can even be used directly into some portable cd players with ok results. Headphones are a very personal choice as both sound quality and comfort come into play. A home audition is highly recommended.
I think my SR-225 are comfortable. It is easy to alter the tightness against your head, if needed. FWIW, my hat size is 7 1/8. Maybe some of these guys have a big ol' head, or something.
[:)] Charlie
HD600's over HD580's for sure. The 600's have crisper resolution, better frequency extension, and more natural, better integrated sound overall.
The SR series are a little darker with way less rez than the RS series. If you are serious about headphone listening, I would suggest you have a listen to the RS 2. They are about the same list price as the Sen 600's, but IMO, have better rez, bass and truer to timbre.

However, if I was to choose between 225 or 580's it would be the 580's. But again, I would spend more and get the RS 2's.
Depends on your taste of music my friend. If I were you I'd get the HD 600 since they're really a more "rounded" headphones meaning they can be for listening everything.

Be warned though! These headphones really shouldn't be listened unless you have at least a couple hundred dollar headphone amp + preferably new cables to replace the stock ones such as Clou cables, maybe the new cardas?

Note: http://home.t-online.de/home/meier-audio/
Here's a good place to buy HD600s as well, also see www.head-fi.com for more info on headphones in general. ;)