at home has unplugged its network

like millions of others, i've been using a cable modem hooked up to the @home network. the bankruptcy judge overseeing @home's chapt. 11 case has allowed it to cancel its contracts with providers such as at&t, effectively unplugging those companies' subscribers from internet connectivity. i'm hoping that this will be a quite temporary problem, but have no idea yet how long i'll be down. in the meantime, if anyone needs to reach me, please use my "business" address: [email protected]. thanks.

-cfb
cornfedboy
THANK GOD your office system is still up. The thought of you standing in line at the public library for hours trying to get on line gives me goose bumps. That would be very undignified for an Audiophile of your stature.

But, if you had a Walkman I'm sure the time would fly:~)
Sorry to hear of your problems, Cornfedboy! Get a really, REALLY long ball of string, connect it to two paper cups, and then you can splice in a shorter piece of string for your modem! Actually, use a heavier piece of twine to connect to your modem. This twine will give a better frequency response and better "air"...much like a high quality interconnect! If you got the bucks, you might even upgrade to wool yarn! Seriously, I wish you luck! Qwest has such antiquated phone lines where I live, that on a good day, my modem runs at 26K instead of 56K. Actually, a piece of yarn may be faster in my case!
I'm on At Home too, and was notified that my service might die, but so far today it's still running. I will switch to a DSL if it really goes, but the Wash. Post and web news says the parties are still trying to work out an arrangement to prevent unplugging us millions. I'm going to keep checking over the weekend and hope for the best. But if it's unplugged, I'll have to use my office line too. What a pain!
sarah: i'm surprised @home is still providing access in d.c. here in denver, the headquarters for at&t broadband, we've been told that we'll migrate to at&t's own network but the timetable is optimistically pegged at "a few days." -cfb