What would you do differently?

Wives take a lot of heat in the audio press and on forums such as this one for their effects on their husbands' audio enjoyment. WAF is a recognizable acronym and effect, and there's always a lot of anguish over the "grief" of upgrades, etc. What would you do differently if you had nobody to answer to on any audio issues? Is it as simple as, "I'd spend a lot more and play the system a lot louder"?

Personally, I'd do a couple of things differently. First, I'd probably own more than one pair of speakers at any time and experiment a bit more. Sending and receiving speakers seems incomprehensible to my wife so it's a bigger hurdle than it's worth to do this currently, even if I break even on the costs. The second major thing I'd do is remove everything from the semi-dedicated room the system is in that I didn't want in there.

All in all, I suppose the back pressure is good as it keeps a bit of anticipation in the hobby. -Kirk

kthomas
NOTHING, nothing at all. and, BTW, i've been happily married for 37 years and at this hobby for 35+ years. like swampwalker implies don't need to be single and/or lonely to label yourself an "audiophile." indeed, you'd probably be better off (and certainly more financially healthy) were you to acquire a dog, or a pony and a boat.
-cfb
Instead of boxing & selling off all the surplus leftover gear (from tweaking the main rig) I'd use some of those pieces to build 'second' & 'third' systems, each optimized for somewhat different charactaristics. As it is, the boxed up castoffs that I haven't sold as yet are occupying significant floor space which I really should put to some better use.
Bob, In order to ease some of the clutter around your place, i'll come by and pick your "extra" stuff up. Glad to be of help and service to you... : ) Sean
>

PS Multiple systems can give you multiple headaches at times : )
Kelly,
A friend once described owning a big sailboat akin to sitting on a block of ice in the shower and throwing 20's in the toilet. I don't think of owning one of those and a pony as a cheaper alternative to this hobby ;-)

Although my marriage is NOT something I'd do differently ... absent it, I certainly would divert some landscaping and furnishings expenses over to the audio side. I'd become more of an early adopter of new technology rather than waiting for it to hit mainstream pricing levels. I'd do a lot more DIY experimenting, which of course would leave a lot of unfinished trial-and-error prototypes in highly visible listening positions much of the time. And I'm much more of a live music junkie than she, so actually I'd spend less time listening in the house and more in front of a band.

Sarah,
I'd be interested in your impressions of the 1SC's mated with some of your different pre/amp combo's - has this appeared in any threads to which you've contributed?

Tim